Recommend a flash bracket
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Recommend a flash bracket

To take the flash off axis of the lens/camera. Preferably, a compact one for traveling, and can flip vertically & horizontally.

Not looking to save some coin here, so good quality with a reasonable price.

Cheers

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Default Re: Recommend a flash bracket

If I needed a flash bracket, I'd be using this one:

WPF-QR2 Folding Flash Bracket with Sliding Mount

It would conveniently attach to the L-plate I would probably already have mounted to the camera (or at least, already own), and fold flat for travel/storage.

If you don't need the sliding adjustable mount for the flash, the old version appears to still be available: WPF-QR Folding Flash Bracket with Fixed Mount
Old 04-30-2014   #3
Camel Breath

Cheers, Michael.

Looks very complicated, plus no need for the sliding adjustable mount. Need something that does one thing and does it well...and can make the flash go horizontal and vertical.
Old 04-30-2014   #4
Camel Breath

The old version does exactly what you ask. Easily flips over from horizontal to vertical. Rock solid too.

I haven't liked any of the others I've seen or tried from Stroboframe, Custom Brackets, etc. They either don't collapse for storage, or don't get the flash off-axis enough, or weigh a ton, or all of the above.

It looks like RRS made the new version more complicated to double as a sort of video cage or something. If you look at that one picture of it with the Nikon camera and flash, it's really not that messy.
Old 04-30-2014   #5
Camel Breath

Here's a website with some pics of the version 1 in use:

Artikel details voor: REALLY RIGHT STUFF WPF-QR Wedding Pro Flash Bracket with Quick Release - nivo-schweitzer.nl

What I like about the RRS solution is that you don't have to flip the camera separately; you just hold the camera vertically and flip the flash with your free hand. A lot of the other brackets I've seen require you to first rotate the camera on some kind of mount, and then flip the flash in a second step.

Also, the RRS stuff integrates directly with the popular Arca-Swiss de-facto "standard" L-plates and QR systems.
Old 04-30-2014   #6
Camel Breath

[Replying to an earlier post by Michael].

On a second look, it does look interesting. Plus, it can hold two flashes, which is cool. But one needs an L bracket for it, no.
Old 04-30-2014   #7
Camel Breath

Thanks for the additional info, mate.
Old 04-30-2014   #8
Camel Breath

Yes, you need an L-bracket for your camera from RRS or Kirk Photo.

I personally have L-brackets for any of the cameras I'd use on a tripod, so it would make sense for me to go with the RRS solution.

Personally, I'm about to give up on on-camera flash except for very specific circumstances. Actually, I'm leaving speedlights/speedlites all together. They simply don't have the reliability or ease of use for many professional applications, IMHO, and when I travel, using flash is usually pretty low on my priority list.
Old 04-30-2014   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Personally, I'm about to give up on on-camera flash except for very specific circumstances. Actually, I'm leaving speedlights/speedlites all together. They simply don't have the reliability or ease of use for many professional applications, IMHO, and when I travel, using flash is usually pretty low on my priority list.
Interestingly enough, just finished converting some portraits using on-camera flash as fill. Wow, I'm super impressed on how an on-camera speedlite can make a world of difference. And honestly, those pics is what prompted me to ask about the bracket.
Old 04-30-2014   #10
Camel Breath

When traveling, I usually just end up holding the flash in my free hand so I can position it however I like.

I trigger the flash either with a radio trigger or from the built-in pop-up flash, depending on the capabilities of the equipment I'm using.

Ultimately though, there's been entire trips when I don't use the flash at all.

Now you've got me thinking I should drag one around more often.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: