I need help BAD!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 326807
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I need help BAD!

I recently got a Canon Rebel XS I know I can use my fathers lens from his Canon AE-1 which is 35mm camera. I need to know that mount to buy for this camera so I can use those lens? Thank you all in advanced

Old 04-24-2014   #2
d_rem

CamelKarma:
Default Re: I need help BAD!

I'm no expert on this so take it for what it's worth. The mount on your camera and that of your fathers are different so obviously an adaptor will be needed. I think that is what you are asking about. The other thing is even if you get an adaptor the lenses will likely not work in terms of auto focus and lord knows what else. I hope someone with more knowledge than I will help out. You may want to take your camera and the lenses you want to use to your local camera store ( not a big box like Best Buy... a real camera store) and have them help out. Just a thought
Old 04-24-2014   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First

You need a FD to EF adapter. There are a couple of different ones out there, most under $30.

One has no glass in it, and is good for most things, but will not focus to infinity. If you're planning to do landscapes where you want the horizon line sharp with it, that can be a problem, but portraits and things closer will work out well.

The other has glass in it, and that is so that it can focus to infinity. The drawback is that the glass is not top quality, and the image quality can take a hit. My experience with them is that it's not terrible, but it's not perfect either. Usually, these adapters with the glass allow for the glass to be removed when you don't need the infinity focus, so they then work like the adapter without the glass described above.

There's another adapter out there made by Ed Mika. It doesn't have glass in it, but is made to get the adapter and thus the FD lens on it much closer to the flange of the camera, so that you can get closer to infinity focus without the glass. You still can't quite get there, but it's better than the cheaper ones. Ed's adapters also include an electronic chip that interacts with modern digital cameras so that when focus is achieved, you get a confirmation in the viewfinder, taking the guesswork out of focusing, which can be a problem with using the other two adapters.

Ed Mika sells his adapters on ebay, but they're about 3 to 4 times the price of the cheap ones. I had one and used it with a 500mm FD lens I had, and it worked really great for me.

As mentioned, you'll get no auto-anything with the older FD lenses. You'll need to work the focus and aperture by hand, just like we all had to do back in the old days.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959
Editing OK?: Yes

I would recommend spending the money on a good eos EF lens instead of the adaptor, unless that FD lens is a pro quality lens. Lots of used EF lenses on Ebay less than 200 dollars.
Old 04-24-2014   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269403

Using adapter (glass or no glass) you will lose AF and can meter only in stop down AV or manual mode. Those with glass will also add x1.26 magnification to the FD lens. Though some FD lenses were exceptionally good, most of the EF lenses are better than their FD counter part.
Old 04-24-2014   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

Legacy lenses can be fun but they lack many of the qualities of a new lens like Auto Focus. Frankly I think you are better off spending money on a modern lens than on an adapter for a legacy lens unless you want to do it just for the fun and bragging rights.

The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens can be found used in perfect condition for about $60-$75. This is a modern high quality AF lens in a budget mount. I consider it one of the best buys for a beginner with a Canon crop-sensor camera like yours. I have one and keep it handy for when my other two much more expensive lenses won't do the job needed.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

I have a bunch of Canon AE-1 lenses sitting in a drawer gathering dust along with two film bodies. Once I made the switch to digital I gave no thought to adapting my old lenses to the new body. Since the FD lenses were designed to be operated manually, there is no connectivity to the new digital bodies. Aperture is set on the lens not through the aperture dial. Focus was achieved through a split prism and not with any form of IR so even with the electronically connected adaptor mentioned before, I can't see it working all that great.

I will echo what others have said. Outside of the nostalgic need to keep using the old glass, it really makes no sense. It just can't compete with new lenses made specifically for the new bodies.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #8
Llama

It's a wonder that anybody ever got a decent photo before digital cameras and modern lenses were invented.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Old 04-25-2014   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

It's no wonder that decent photos were taken long before the digital age: it just took talent and hard work. Consider the wet plate photography of the great American West by Eadweard Muybridge and Timothy O'Sullivan and the image editing done by William Mortensen. The few digital photographers who are that dedicated to their craft also make fine photographs.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
It's no wonder that decent photos were taken long before the digital age: it just took talent and hard work. Consider the wet plate photography of the great American West by Eadweard Muybridge and Timothy O'Sullivan and the image editing done by William Mortensen. The few digital photographers who are that dedicated to their craft also make fine photographs.
I'm talking about regular consumers with everyday cameras like a 35mm film Canon AE-1 and those old FD lenses. They could never make a decent photo with that limited technology.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic:

Tags
canon, len, mount