I need help BAD! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: I need help BAD!

I wonder what future generations will be saying about our 'limited' and archaic technology?
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nowadays it seems that everyone wants the latest and greatest equipment. Some folks are totally preoccupied with gear and will oftentimes continue to upgrade there cameras and lenses to achieve “better” results when some of their dissatisfaction with their work may be due to their lack of technique.

Having said that, I really can’t blame a good photographer for wanting some state-of- the- art bodies and matching high quality lenses to help him or her to maximize their skills through better optical and mechanical performance. Once investing in a modern and costly camera body one wants to insure that that their lenses will be compatible with their entire camera’s advanced features and automation. More importantly, photographers need to make sure that the lenses they choose are designed to properly cover the sensor within the camera body- some older film camera lenses do not do their best job on all digital bodies as to issues of sharpness through the entire field of coverage. Theses factors are especially important for the photographer’s main working system especially where professional results, as to image quality, are required and expected.

This, however, is no reason to discourage experimentation with older lenses, especially if the cost of adaption is modest enough. In my own equipment inventory I have a wide variety of old lenses and odd lenses that serve me well to this day- it is a matter of matching up the old lenses to the right body. My two favorite prime lenses for my old Nikon F series cameras were the 24mm wide angle, the 50mm Macro and the 105mm medium tele. They all fit on my D-300 bodies and with the crop sensor the become (approximately) a 35mm, a 75mm and a 150mm respectively and only the center part of the lens involved so the results are tack sharp. I use the longer lenses for studio work where I don’t require any automation and they perform beautifully. I use the wide lens for photojournalistic coverages- I like the light weight and compactness of a prime wide angle lens and I can usually scale focus using the footage scale and hyperfocal settings for fast action shots.

My medium format cameras are now digitized and all my OLD lenses are performing admirably. I have also adapted some real oldies but goodies from my view cameras to my medium format cameras; I have some incredibly different soft focus lenses that just about “retouch” my portraits in the camera! I also use some razor sharp view camera lenses such as the Red Dot Artar and some of the other Goetz masterpieces that rival some of the best newer lenses.

Perhaps the questions we should ask or things to imagine are what would some of the “old” photographic masters like Adams, Mortensen, Stieglitz, Avadon, Penn, and others would have created if the had today’s technology at their disposal. Somethings to ponder!

Ed
Old 06-13-2014   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 72967
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
It's a wonder that anybody ever got a decent photo before digital cameras and modern lenses were invented.
On first read, I thought this was sarcasm.

Quote:
I'm talking about regular consumers with everyday cameras like a 35mm film Canon AE-1 and those old FD lenses. They could never make a decent photo with that limited technology.
It seems your are really serious. I'm still not sure.

The Canon AE-1 was THE camera I aspired to at one time. I had to settle for the Yashica FX-2 and some good C/Y multi-coated glass. My favorites were the Yashica 28mm f/2.8 ML, 50mm f/1.8 MLc, and 135mm f/2.8 MLc. I also had two Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina) lenses, 28-105 and 70-210 f/3.5. The primes were excellent. The zooms were quite good for their day.

Batteries for the FX-2 became unavailable when mercury became an issue. I switched to the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000, which was, is, and always will be the best all-manual 35mm film body ever made. Small, well-built, rugged and reliable. And you didn't even need a battery if you could live without the meter.

I shot my brother's wedding with that gear. I think that was 1979. My last photos with the FX-3 S2k were taken in the summer of 2013. I took my grandson, then 3, to his first swim in Lake Michigan. The shots are priceless.

In August of 2013, I donated all my film equipment to a local art school. I still miss the FX-3 S2k. That ancient camera was still quite capable of making 'decent photos'.

I made nice photos for 30 years with much lesser technology than the AE-1. I'm sure lots of other folks did, too.
Old 06-13-2014   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambarino View Post
~stuff written~
Hint: It was sarcasm.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 72967

Quote:
Hint: It was sarcasm.
Thanks. I guess I need my detector adjusted.
Old 06-13-2014   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

These guys in the UK can convert FD lenses to EF mount with infinity focus. They can also de-click your aperture ring for cinema use, etc.:

FDn to EF Conversions

Probably worth it if you've got some L glass. I hear the 35-105mm looks amazing for making videos.

They seem to get pretty good reviews from some of the Cinema guys, though the de-clicking gets mixed reviews as to the effectiveness.

Note: I seem to be having issues loading the images on their website, not sure if it's on my end or their end, but I'm sure the company is legit. No affiliation; I stumbled upon them while reading some stuff written by folks in the UK.
Old 07-29-2014   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039

i love old lenses. i have all sorts of adapters.. rather than converting these lenses to fit your current canon DSLR, the better option would be to get a cheap mirrorless system (m4/3 or sony nex system) and use these old lenses via glassless adapters. better yet use it on the full frame mirrorless e-mount from sony.
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959

The sony a7 series is the bomb for using older lenses - lots of happy customers using their good vintage lenses with those bodies.

ksgal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic:

Tags
canon, len, mount