Zoom Lens Confusion
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Zoom Lens Confusion

Hi Techtalkers

Can someone please help me understand what is the difference between a Nikon 55-300mm and a 70-300mm Lens. My Understanding is that the 55-300mm in itself contains the 70-300mm. if so than why the 70-300mm is costlier than the 55-300mm. I believe the 55-300mm should cost more as both have the same aperture f/4.5-5.6G.

I know cost is not the only factor in everything, but why this is and why should someone pay more for 70-300mm.

Regards
Taniya

Old 04-20-2014   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634
Default Re: Zoom Lens Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniya View Post
I know cost is not the only factor in everything, but why this is and why should someone pay more for 70-300mm.
Why ? Because it is a much better lens all round and undoubtedly costs more to manufacture.

The 55 - 300 is a reasonable lens, it has one major "flaw" - the AF is very slow and it is cumbersome to switch from AF to Manual and even then the manual focus control is not good. The AF electronics and mechanics may be a "budget" version of those in the 70 - 300
The 70 - 300 can be used on DX, FX and film cameras without cropping.

BUT - if you can live with those restrictions the 55 - 300 is not a bad lens. I wanted a 300mm lens for my D90/7100 and felt that the 70 - 300 was too pricey so I got a used 55 - 300. I don't intend going up to FX and I don't use it for sports or bird (flying) use, so it suits me just fine.

http://photocamel.com/forum/transpor...hard-work.html
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072

Right, the big difference is the 70-300 is a bigger FX lens, and the 55-300 is a smaller DX lens.

The FX lens projects a larger image circle, large enough to cover the larger FX sensor, 1.5x larger dimensions.

The DX lens image only covers the smaller DX sensor, and so would not be properly usable on a FX body. The FX lens can be used on FX or DX bodies.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #4
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask first

As far as I am aware, lens price depends not only configuration but also it's hardware and how recent it is. In newer lenses, you may expect better hardware.
I recently bought an old used Nikon 18-105mm and I compared it with my another new lens Nikon 105mm macro. The new one is much heavier. The old 18-105mm seems light and poor quality.

I support moonrakerz information.
shakilearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #5
Alpaca

Nice post. and informative.
Arterburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

Another issue is alignment of glass elements throughout the entire focal range. In order to maintain image shapes throughout the entire focal range all the glass elements need to work together. An engineering marvel in itself. Larger focal ranges tend to suffer from a variety of other problems than focus sharpness, chromatic aberrations being one of them and edge focus being another (to name a few). In order to correct those problems lens manufactures use a variety of techniques that include reducing the focal range in order for other lens elements to work properly. Better glass elements, better engineering and higher build standards will have an effect on the final price.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 758661

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakilearl View Post
As far as I am aware, lens price depends not only configuration but also it's hardware and how recent it is. In newer lenses, you may expect better hardware.
I recently bought an old used Nikon 18-105mm and I compared it with my another new lens Nikon 105mm macro. The new one is much heavier. The old 18-105mm seems light and poor quality.

I support moonrakerz information.
Your 18-105 is a kit lens sold as part of a package with entry level crop sensor (DX) DSLR's. Aperture is 3.5-5.6. The 105 prime is a fixed aperture f/2.8 lens. It is compatible with both DX and FX/35mm formats. This is all shown in the price difference -- 105 prime $899, 18-105 kit $199 for the VR, more for VR2.

Apples/Oranges.
Bob Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes

My Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G isn't as sharp at the long end of its zoom range as I would expect more expensive Nikon lenses to be. Photographers who demand top performance and can afford top quality lenses wouldn't be satisfied with it. However, it fills a niche for less exacting photographers.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: