Tripods Again
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 148438
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tripods Again

I have been reading the current threads on tripods and reading some of the suggested articles. I don't use a tripod professionally or that often. I shoot landscapes, some events, including sports, parties and once in a while a wedding.

I had an old Bogen 3001 for about 20 years that finally lost a leg. Reading many of the suggestions it sounds like a tripod is an investment and you at least should spend $500+ for the legs and head. Well, I was hoping to spend around $300-$350. I am looking at the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with 498RC4 Midi Ball Head Kit aluminum for $274 and also theManfrotto 055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod which is on sale now at B$H for about $317 plus I can add the 498RC4 bullhead. I'm not sure yet if the carbon fiber would still be a better choice.

Another option was a Gitzo but I could not find the price break I am looking for.

I use a Canon 5Dm3 and the largest lens is a 70-200Lii (with a 1.4 or 2x converter at times) and use 600EX-RT flash.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe I need to up the budget.

Thank you,
Pete

Old 02-07-2014   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1942889
Default Re: Tripods Again

The most important question here, is one only you can answer: if your 20-year-old tripod had not become an amputee, would you be replacing it?

If not, then I'm sure you'll find the 055XPROB to be a suitable replacement, and a step up too. You may even want to transplant your old pod's head onto the new legs, thus saving even more (or at least deferring the expense.)
.................................Weston
w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

I totally agree with Alan. If you are looking for something different I've heard good things about Benro. They have kits in your price range that include ball head and quick release. Bigger and sturdier, but less pricey than Gitzo or RRS, Induro also seems decent.

You just have to consider what's important to you in a tripod. Height, strength, weight, features, etc.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Your setup is slightly less than 4 lbs.

The 055XPROB Tripod supports 5.29lbs. The 055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod supports 17.64lbs.

If you can afford the Carbon Fiber version then to me it is a no brainer. My rule of thumb is you want a pod/head that supports a minimum of 2X the weight of your gear. 3X would be better.

As for the head, I am not a fan of Manfrotto heads for the most part. Their heads are ok, but I do not like their proprietary QR system at least. My preference is for arca-swiss compatible as it is far more versatile. That used to mean very expensive heads. These days however there are good heads at a reasonable price that are arca-swill compatible. This is one for example: Giottos MH-1301 Pro Series II Medium Ballhead MH1301-656 B&H that supports 20lbs.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #5
Guanaco

Thanks for the input. To answer the question from Zemlin, I probably would not have replaced the tripod if it did not become an amputee! I wouldn't mind spending the money on a more expensive tripod if I used it more frequently. I just want to replace my broken one with something perhaps a bit better.
I checked out the Giottos link that gryphonslair99 provided.. I am not familiar with Giottos but this looks nice.

Before I make a purchase which needs to be soon I will also look at the Benro that Zemlin suggested.
cpharm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpharm86 View Post
Before I make a purchase which needs to be soon I will also look at the Benro that Zemlin suggested.
Sorry I'm a bit late on this but while you look at Benro, here's another one you might consider. It's a RedGed Redged RTB-324 Steady 3-Section Basalt Tripod RTB-324

Lightweight, sturdy, good working height and flexible positioning of the legs. Good features and reasonable price. Less than $200 and comes in it's own handy case. These are manufactured in Holland and IMO quite well made. Here's their site that offers numerous pods and heads and kits. Tripods

I should also note that there's a big difference between BenBO and BenRo pods as you'll see here at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ta
AND
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sh...6/N/4294255798

I think the Benro's are knockoffs of the Benbo, hence the name. The Benbos are really great, a tad pricey, but offer lots of features that you might find useful.
Mark
Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

Pete, I've been using American-made Tiltall tripods for 42 years for larger cameras and longer lenses than yours, but have no experience with the current new imported versions. A good tripod lasts a lifetime, so buying one used is practical.
Jim Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #8
Guanaco

Thanks for everyones input. It is taking me longer to purchase a tripod then it did for my cameras and lenses.
I also received input on the Induro AT313 www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655224-REG

Lots of choices!
Old 02-11-2014   #9
Guanaco

Does anyone have experience with Vanguard as shown with link below?

Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AT Aluminum Alloy Tripod ALTA PRO 263AT
Old 02-11-2014   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7140401
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpharm86 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Vanguard as shown with link below?

Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AT Aluminum Alloy Tripod ALTA PRO 263AT
I do. I really like it. Solid and VERY versatile. Takes a little getting-used-to but that comes with usage. Lots of bang for the buck.

<><~~~~
Pentax K-3, Pentax K-30, and Fujifilm HS50EXR with a bunch of other stuff
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
Feel free to C&C my images.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: