Tripods Again - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014   #11
Guanaco
 
cpharm86's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 250
CamelKarma: 148438
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I do. I really like it. Solid and VERY versatile. Takes a little getting-used-to but that comes with usage. Lots of bang for the buck.
Good to hear. What were the things you had to get used to?

I was also looking at Manfrotto 055 Magnesium Ball Head with Q2 Quick MH055M0-Q2 B&H since the diameter of the ball is larger than what I was previously looking at. Maybe smoother movement with heavier equipment.
cpharm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
zemlin's Avatar
 
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,826
CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpharm86 View Post
I was also looking at Manfrotto 055 Magnesium Ball Head with Q2 Quick MH055M0-Q2 B&H since the diameter of the ball is larger than what I was previously looking at. Maybe smoother movement with heavier equipment.
I decided early on that I was only going to buy a head with a Swiss-Arca compatible clamp. It really opens up the opportunities for quick-release accessories.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #13
Photocamel Master
 
icassell's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,947
CamelKarma: 12615712
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

I have two Induro tripods - the AT214 and the CT313. (as well as an Induro GHB-2 Gimbal Head). They are both solidly built and do fine with my 7D/500mm f/4 combination. They are also far far less expensive than Gitzo.

http://www.indurogear.com
__________________
Ian http://www.icassell.smugmug.com

Canon 7D2, Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 500/4L,Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, Canon 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Canon 50/1.8 MkI, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM,Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Canon 17-55/2.8, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE, Sigma 1.4 and 2X EX ,Canon 1.4x II and 2x III, Induro CT313 tripod, AT214 tripod, Induro GHB-2 gimbal, Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EX, Olympus TG-3
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #14
Guanaco
 
cpharm86's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 250
CamelKarma: 148438
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by icassell View Post
I have two Induro tripods - the AT214 and the CT313. (as well as an Induro GHB-2 Gimbal Head). They are both solidly built and do fine with my 7D/500mm f/4 combination. They are also far far less expensive than Gitzo.

Induro: The Finest Tripods Money Can Buy
I was also looking at the CT313. The last tripod I bought was about 20 years ago. I'm also researching some heads. I really don't want to spend a lot since my tripod use is not too frequent.

In the previous post by Zemlin, Swiss-Arca compatible clamp was mentioned. I'm not familiar with that. I want to stay under $400 for the entire tripod.
cpharm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
zemlin's Avatar
 
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,826
CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpharm86 View Post
In the previous post by Zemlin, Swiss-Arca compatible clamp was mentioned. I'm not familiar with that. I want to stay under $400 for the entire tripod.
Arca-compatible does not = $$, although most of the $$ heads are arca compatible. I have an arca-compatible ball head I bought on Amazon for $30, and arca-style plates can be had for $5 on eBay. L-brackets from RRS, Kirk, and the knockoffs are for Swiss-Arca clamps.

Manfrotto's plate is unique to Manfrotto (as far as I know), and there are some cheap knockoffs out there, but you'll find far more Arca-style stuff than Manfrotto. It looks like Benro makes both Manfrotto-style and Arca-style.

This is the cheap-o no-name head I bought for $30 - probably smaller than what you want.
I'm not saying I recommend it for a real camera. I use it with my little Nikon1 J1 cameras that I use for video work. The real camera goes on the RRS head - but the clamps work on the same plates.

Some of the lower priced name-brand ball heads out there look very similar down to the rubber on the knobs.
.

This is a common design for ball heads, so the similarity could be more due to the common roots of the design rather than common manufacturing locations.
Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 sp with Quick Release 801103 B&H Photo

The larger Induro heads are Arca-compatible. Looks like their smaller heads work with Manfrotto plates. induro ball head | B&H Photo Video
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #16
Guanaco
 
cpharm86's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 250
CamelKarma: 148438
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
Arca-compatible does not = $$, although most of the $$ heads are arca compatible. I have an arca-compatible ball head I bought on Amazon for $30, and arca-style plates can be had for $5 on eBay. L-brackets from RRS, Kirk, and the knockoffs are for Swiss-Arca clamps.

Manfrotto's plate is unique to Manfrotto (as far as I know), and there are some cheap knockoffs out there, but you'll find far more Arca-style stuff than Manfrotto. It looks like Benro makes both Manfrotto-style and Arca-style.

This is the cheap-o no-name head I bought for $30 - probably smaller than what you want.
Amazon.com: XCSOURCEŽ Pro All Metal Camera Tripod Ballhead with Quick Release Plate for Canon 5D mark II III 550d 50d 600d 1000d 1100d 650d 700d Nikon D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D3200 D3100 D3000 LF023: Camera & Photo
I'm not saying I recommend it for a real camera. I use it with my little Nikon1 J1 cameras that I use for video work. The real camera goes on the RRS head - but the clamps work on the same plates.

Some of the lower priced name-brand ball heads out there look very similar down to the rubber on the knobs. Amazon.com: Benro B3 Double Action Ballhead: Electronics.

This is a common design for ball heads, so the similarity could be more due to the common roots of the design rather than common manufacturing locations.
Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 sp with Quick Release 801103 B&H Photo

The larger Induro heads are Arca-compatible. Looks like their smaller heads work with Manfrotto plates. induro ball head | B&H Photo Video
Thanks again for the nice information. I think I now have enough information for a decent purchase for my needs.
cpharm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #17
Llama
 
ClintS's Avatar
 
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 519
CamelKarma: 797223
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

You could buy a used Bogen 3001 either for parts to fix yours or as a replacement - this one is $60

Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Tripod in Excellent Condition Very Nice 719821163251 | eBay
ClintS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #18
Guanaco
 
cpharm86's Avatar
 
Location: California
Posts: 250
CamelKarma: 148438
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintS View Post
You could buy a used Bogen 3001 either for parts to fix yours or as a replacement - this one is $60

Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Tripod in Excellent Condition Very Nice 719821163251 | eBay
Not a bad idea. Thanks for the find. If nothing else use as a second tripod should I make another purchase.
cpharm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #19
Vicuna
 
Posts: 142
CamelKarma: 2997
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

I have 3 Bogen 3035 leg sets and several heads, including a Gitzo Monster for my 4 x 5, plus 2 Bogen 3047 heads. These tripods are really heavy and a chore to carry in the field. But they are rock solid and hold a ton. See if you can find one on E-bay. Would be worth every penny if you need the support and weight is not an issue.
richpilot35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #20
Guanaco
 
Terry Geig's Avatar
 
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 257
CamelKarma: 71483
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods Again

I have a Vanguard Alta, but it has 3 section legs. It came with a decent ball head, holds my D2x just fine, and was only $180. 2 quick release plates also...And a carry case...


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
Terry Geig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes