Sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 4808032
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards

Has anyone used the following 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards from RiData/RiTek? My sole experience with this brand is with their blank CDs and DVDs.

I learned about these really "low" cost memory cards from another forum when I asked about 128GB CF cards selling for under $200.

On the forum I was linked to this site RiDATA | My Digital Discount

Not buying from them as it means import duties charges if I ship em to where I am currently at and I have found the local distributor.

Robgalbraith.com benchmarked the RiData 600x cards performing within a permissible range. I would assume the 1000x, 800x and 400x will be as consistent, hopefully.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Note:

- Not associated with RiData, RiTek or their resellers
- Just want to get end-user feedback for this sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash memory card from actual owners.
- Yes, I know the maxim of not "putting all your eggs in one basket". Same was said back in 2003 when 128MB (Megabyte) memory cards were $100 and 1GB cards were $1,000.
- Not spamming forums. I just want end-user feedback. There are no reviews on RiData's 400x, 800x or 1000x lines of CompactFlash memory cards.

Old 01-13-2014   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards

I have used there cards in the past. The performed acceptably but I did have one fail on me after a year or so of hard use in the studio. It just stopped registering properly in the camera one day.
Old 01-13-2014   #3
Llama

That is worrisome Bobby. Thanks for the replying.
dolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolina View Post
That is worrisome Bobby. Thanks for the replying.
It happens with all brands, the compact flash card is about as reliable as any memory ever developed but they are still susceptible to failure. When I say it quite I mean I probably wore it out. I capture close to 500,000 frames per year in the studio. My cards take a beating it is hard to say of it was defective or maybe I pulled it from a crop are reader to fast or an internal pin connector may have broken or it maybe got degaussed on a speaker. Truth is. I have had a San disk card fail in a similar fashion and I paid a whole lot more money for the San disk. I use cards from SanDisk, Lexar, Patriot, RiData and a couple other off brand manufacturers and ultimately they have all served me well
Old 01-13-2014   #5
Llama

Half a million frames in a year would be half a million frames for my entire lifetime to me.

Thanks again for the timely advice. Will scuttle KomputerBay even if they're $20 cheaper.
Old 01-14-2014   #6
Llama

Thoughts on the 128GB & 64GB Transcend CF cards? It appears RiDATA has no representation here.
Old 03-21-2014   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 2404

I'm using the 32GB CF cards and the 64GB SD cards from transcend for the last 15ish months without a hitch. Still use their 8GB CF cards in a D700 and have done so for the last 4 years and have never had a problem.

Here are the CF and SD blackmagic speed test results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transcend 32gb 400x.jpg (94.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Transcend 64GB SDXC Class 10.jpg (98.2 KB, 67 views)
M Cafferkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Llama

CamelKarma: 346689
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
. I capture close to 500,000 frames per year in the studio.
Assuming you take 2 days a week off, no vacation and no sick days off. that makes for about 250 work days a year. That is 2000 images captured per day. Figuring 8 hours a day dedicated to post processing alone never mind time to shoot, that is 250 images per hour.

250 images per hour is about 4 images per min to shoot and post process without let up. Awesome...You could teach the NSA a thing or two about big data.

How many folks do you employ? That must be one hell of a operation.
Old 04-22-2014   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lens Pirate View Post
Assuming you take 2 days a week off, no vacation and no sick days off. that makes for about 250 work days a year. That is 2000 images captured per day. Figuring 8 hours a day dedicated to post processing alone never mind time to shoot, that is 250 images per hour.

250 images per hour is about 4 images per min to shoot and post process without let up. Awesome...You could teach the NSA a thing or two about big data.

How many folks do you employ? That must be one hell of a operation.
No time off, never sick, doesn't sleep, works weekends, that's only 57 photos an hour, 365 days a week. Let's all be nice.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10

I wish we could pay that in South Africa, locally we pay that for 16GB cards, and due to import duties and expensive non reliable postage its not worth importing, unless you travel...

I just purchased the Transcend 1000x CompactFlash Memory Card - 16GB for $70 as this is not a camera name brand locally, and I got it direct from a distributor..
Just for interest sake so you know when traveling to South Africa, how much you might pay if you forget your gear... The bigger name brand cards are...

Lexar 16GB Professional CompactFlash 1000x UDMA Memory Card - $230
Lexar 32GB Professional 800x UDMA CompactFlash Memory Card - $240
Lexar 128GB Professional CompactFlash 1000x UDMA Memory Card - $800
Lexar 128GB Professional 800x UDMA CompactFlash Memory Card - $1300

SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 160MB/s CompactFlash Memory Card - $600
SanDisk 128GB Extreme 120MB/s CompactFlash Memory Card - $650
SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 160MB/s CompactFlash Memory Card - $1300
SanDisk 256GB Extreme Pro 160MB/s CompactFlash Memory Card -$1800

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: