What shall we use to store our camera?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 60837
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question What shall we use to store our camera?

I know that camera can't be put in the humid place. I put my camera in an ice box with some packets of silica gel inside. Shall I buy an expensive dry cabinet to store my camera? I don't have any money. Thank you

Old 11-01-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: What shall we use to store our camera?

Put a small light bulb in the refer to stay on all the time. Silica gel has to be renewed. There are humidity control cans you can that can be reused, ie; recycled by drying in your oven. Put a inexpensive humidity gauge in the refer and try to keep it below 50% and you should be good to go.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

Golfer, your response is a little vague. I speak English and i had a hard time following what you were explaining. KelvinTang is from Indonesia so I'm sure he's lost with what you just wrote.

Can you please elaborate?
Thanks
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #4
F1 Camel

So long as you keep the camera in a cool dry place you should be okay. A closet is a good place. Keep your equipment in your camera bag as that also helps protect your equipment.
Old 11-01-2013   #5
Dromedary

Tat: Apologies, I was attempting to explain how to keep the refrigerator dry. Assuming the refrigerator is not operable, a light bulb will create enough heat to drive off the humidity without overheating the interior.
That being said, there are also reusable moisture wicking containers that can be placed inside the refrigerator to absorb moisture. These can be reused over and over by drying them out in an oven. In this case, you would not use a light bulb.
If this doesn't answer your questions, please ask and I will attempt to help.
Best wishes.
Old 11-01-2013   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Tat: Apologies, I was attempting to explain how to keep the refrigerator dry. Assuming the refrigerator is not operable, a light bulb will create enough heat to drive off the humidity without overheating the interior.
That being said, there are also reusable moisture wicking containers that can be placed inside the refrigerator to absorb moisture. These can be reused over and over by drying them out in an oven. In this case, you would not use a light bulb.
If this doesn't answer your questions, please ask and I will attempt to help.
Best wishes.
I think you misunderstand. He's not asking about a refrigerator but rather his camera. He keeps the camera in a cooler (ice chest) and wanted to know how he could keep moisture out.

Isn't language great?
Old 11-01-2013   #7
Dromedary

Tat: My misunderstanding and apologies, I assumed the OP was talking about a unused refrigerator. That being said, the humidity control canisters might still be a good way to go. Something similar to this: Desiccants
A cooler may not be large enough for a light bulb.
Old 11-02-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

Keven, please don't double post. You have already posted this in the Photography Talk forum.

Go read my reply in the Photography Talk forum.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
Keven, please don't double post. You have already posted this in the Photography Talk forum.

Go read my reply in the Photography Talk forum.
I sent him a PM about this too.
Old 12-09-2013   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Cameras and lenses are two different situations. With a camera I would let it reach room temperature and then put it in a plastic ziplock type of bag or a plastic case with an o-ring like the ones from Pelican. With lenses I would want to use a plastic box with a tight lid and silica gel. You can refresh a gel packet after it changes color by putting it in a stove at low heat or in a microwave oven. Lenses are much more likely to have problems with moisture and the growth of fungus. Lens cases are the worst place to store a lens as there is no air flow and nothing to keep moisture out. If you are moving between an air conditioned room or vehicle and the outdoors or back inside it is a good idea to use a plastic bag on the camera and lens and give it time to reach the ambient air temp before removing it from the bag. I worry much more about the lenses than the cameras.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: