What shall we use to store our camera? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1403
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What shall we use to store our camera?

Have you tried moisture absorbing sachets?
I have the opposite issue. I don't like leaving my Gear at home because of burglaries these days. I there for opted to keep it in my late model Hatchback. It has alarm, tinted windows and all is well out of sight and the sun. I am a little concerned with the heat. It can get hot here in S.Australia to around 50c inside a Car even if parked in the shade it can get hot enough.
Of course i would not want to leave my air conditioner running while i am at work.
I guess there is no easy solution and think Cameras are hardy enough to withstand most exept drowning them or throwing them in to a B.B.Q
So I will try and keep my Gear safe and shielded as best i can.
rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 60837
Editing OK?: No

Here in Indonesia, the temperature is good between 25-28 degree celcius.
kelvintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvintang View Post
I know that camera can't be put in the humid place. I put my camera in an ice box with some packets of silica gel inside. Shall I buy an expensive dry cabinet to store my camera? I don't have any money. Thank you
i have been doing the same thing,because i'm living near the cost fungus/moister fear!i use a old igloo brand ice box seems to work nice.
blanex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #14
Alpaca

It's condensation that allows fungal growth inside your lens. The cheapest and most reliable method it to store your gear in a cupboard that has an incandescent bulb, or heate that maintains the temp a couple of degrees higher that the outside air. That was condensation can never occur because the air in the cupboard never gets saturated with moisture. Got this info from an old Carl Zeiss manual for a $50k industrial microscope in the 1980's. And it works!!
Richard Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #15
Alpaca

The moisture absorbing packets also known as desiccant (silicon) can be effective however only in a closed environment container or safe etc. If not they'll continue to draw moisture from the "outside environment. Also, be aware that some of these products(Damp Rid) are NOT silicon and can contain corrosive materials.

An ideal storage facility is a gun safe or cabinet with a "Golden Rod" or other low heat/low wattage element.
My safe stays between 44-49% Admittedly I'm located in an area with moderate humidity.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: