Custom Camera Bag
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 230
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Custom Camera Bag

Ok, I would like to get this pack picture below and make it into a camera bag. Where is the best place to buy extra padding to make a custom interior and what is the best course of action? I would like to make the interior customizable so when I get more lenses, I can accomodate them. Thanks.

Canon 1D MkIIn, Canon 1D MkII, Canon 300 f/2.8L Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and some other nice gear.
asysin2leads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Custom Camera Bag

Don't know that you can. Most bag manufactures design the interior padding for each bag. I have never seen anything that lets you design your own.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 230

I have access to a sewing machine that is a heavy duty one that is used to sew tarps together. I would be able to remove the inner compartments of the bag and make sure the seams are secure. Just thought I'd throw that out for ideas. Thanks.

Kevin

Canon 1D MkIIn, Canon 1D MkII, Canon 300 f/2.8L Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and some other nice gear.
asysin2leads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

I think Domke sells packages of padded dividers you can use to make your own bags, but their dividers aren't the best-quality. I've had to repair the one that came with my Domke F-3X at least once without subjecting it to heavy use.

Personally, I'd just protect the camera, lenses, etc. in lens pouches, wraps, such as the ones made by Pelican (they do make nice soft pouches), ThinkTank, Lowepro, Tamrac, etc. I've used clothing to protect cameras and lenses with success as well.

If you really want the dividers, you could get a ThinkTank bag or two... they come with so many dividers that you'll have a ton left over; Thinktank pads their bags with this sort of pile-liner material that sticks to the male end of velcro anywhere, so you can just sew that to the inside of the bag and get away sticking the dividers anywhere. You wouldn't have to sew down female velcro either.
Old 01-14-2007   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Or you could get a regular camera backpack and sew camo material on it.
Old 01-14-2007   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

How about something like this. Much easier.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22
Editing OK?: No

Kevin:

Tamrac has a couple of new bags of a similar nature. Camo and all. You might find that an easier route than making your own.

Bill
drumsergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I don't think Kevin's point here is to have a bag with camo print on the outside, ok, maybe a small part of it, but I think he prefers the bag's construction and usability more than the bags available out there. I was am in the same boat Kevin.
I can't find a bag that has room for my photo gear and some extras (cloths, laptop, whatever) in case I go on a weekend trip.

I have a Quantary backpack that I bought about a month ago for about 100 bucks (its already torn) and just sew its padding and guts into a combat backpack like yours. I like that the bag is canvas, so it won't fall apart like the other bags. I just have to add some canvas strips to the base and walls of the bag to reinforce the pressure points.
I have not seen any kits available that let us do what we want to do, so we just have to piece them togather.
sleepersinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Oh, one more thing about our choice of bags, after playing with my alice pack, I have found that accessing my gear can be an issue, especially if I put some other things above the camera gear, so I don't know how to deal with that issue yet.
Tel me if you have found any solutions
cheers
sleepersinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 147

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

no affiliation. I've been looking for places to buy ripstop and other technical fabrics an I stumbled across this site.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: