The greatest memory card to date
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

View Poll Results: Do you agree? Why or why not?
Yes 1 20.00%
No 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 102701
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The greatest memory card to date

128GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA

Old 04-25-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: The greatest memory card to date

What makes it so great. If it is size then try this one on.
Lexar 256GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 102701
Editing OK?: Ask first

Maybe because it is a CF Card and 60MB/sec faster in sustained data transfer speed?
Great Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297

So I had to go for no. I like the transfer speed but the cost/benefit ratio is not there for me. I spend fairly liberally on my photography hobby but I still consider every purchase based on what it would bring me. I can still shoot with my 16Gb card very well. The transfer speed is still very respectable. I have a few 8Gb cards as well. So really it is a question of spending 600 USD to avoid changing cards and for a 20% increase in write speed. So my evaluation (and I agree it may not apply to anyone else) is that it is not worth the purchase.

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 52740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovrilArg View Post
So I had to go for no. I like the transfer speed but the cost/benefit ratio is not there for me. I spend fairly liberally on my photography hobby but I still consider every purchase based on what it would bring me. I can still shoot with my 16Gb card very well. The transfer speed is still very respectable. I have a few 8Gb cards as well. So really it is a question of spending 600 USD to avoid changing cards and for a 20% increase in write speed. So my evaluation (and I agree it may not apply to anyone else) is that it is not worth the purchase.
You've got it. Why is there this belief that bigger is better? I can see that for some professionals large capacity cards constitute a benefit, but the above comment is right on the money. I recently covered a wedding and used two 16G cards and had room to do more. These cards do fail occasionally, and to be perfectly candid about it, I would much rather replace a 16G card than one of the larger cards mentioned above.
When it is all sliced up, it's your money, do with it what you will.
SixtyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No

Cads are getting bigger and bigger and faster and faster... the one thing that I am not a big fan of is placing all my eggs in one basket. Imagine if that 256gb card was full... and died? I'd crap myself if that happened during a paid shoot... lol

Still, cameras like the D800 and similar do make one want to look at cards like this... amazing. For my needs, though, I'll be sticking to my 16gb cards for the time being.

- Zack Arias

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: