A grip for a flash - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: A grip for a flash

Nah, it's just some off the shelf stuff that some other photographers I've worked with showed me and stuff, and we had used it in a similar fashion to what you're describing. It's not anything ground-breaking, but it's a lot easier to explain with a photo than a description.

There is stuff posted online that is similar to my approach, but it is significantly more elaborate than what I have in mind.
Old 04-05-2013   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

So that the UCLA education didn't pay off yet. Oh well

(Teasing you, mate )
Old 04-05-2013   #23
Camel Breath

Haha not yet, not yet.
Old 04-08-2013   #24
Camel Breath

Okay, Al, here you go. Some snapshots of what I had in mind.

You need the following items:

LightwareDirect.com - FourSquare - Products - FourSquare Blocks - FSA1

This is the mounting block from the FourSquare kit created by Paul Peregrine from Lightware. It holds up to four flashes (actually five with an additional piece), but you don't need to use it with all four. I usually only run two at most.

Here's the handle:

LightwareDirect.com - FourSquare - Products - Handle Assembly - FSH800

...and if you want to put the flash in the dead center of the block, this adds a cold shoe right in the middle of it:

LightwareDirect.com - FourSquare - Products - Accessories - FSA300

I've never bothered with this last piece myself.

The yellow circles indicate two holes that accept umbrella shafts, which is where you could mount the Apollo. It also accepts most standard softboxes if you buy their accessory adapters.

Of course, you could also just also buy the entire FourSquare kit, and use their softbox. The smaller model here is probably easier for you to handle by itself, but it still might be a little big for one person.

LightwareDirect.com - FourSquare - Products - FourSquare Kits - FSK20

Kind of an expensive solution (Jerry ought to chime in at some point on what he thinks of the cost of the product ), but the thing has worked well for me. Made in the USA, which some folks care about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web1.jpg (59.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg web2.jpg (60.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg web3.jpg (47.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-11-2013   #25
Camel Breath

Excellent info, Michael. Thank you very much.

While I'm not from the US, I do care where the item is made. Copying other people's hard work is a big no no. Not to mention quality.
Old 04-11-2013   #26
Camel Breath

Now that I think about it, Lightware's FourSquare softboxes are probably too big for one person (aside from a very large person with long arms) to handle handheld and also shoot effectively with a camera in the other hand. I've personally always used them on a stand or had someone else hold the thing.

I'm not sure the solution pictured above is the best solution for what you're looking for, but I already have all the stuff, so that's probably how I would do it if I needed to hold a small softbox handheld on a grip to get it further away from me.

Usually, if I'm using a flash handheld like that, I usually use an even smaller modifier such as the Honl Traveller8 and just hold the flash itself as a grip for the modifier.

Here are some additional links featuring the FourSquare. These situations involve lots of flashes, assistants, etc. but just in case you're curious:

Photographer's Toy Box: Is The FourSquare For You?

Workshop at the Ranch - July 2009 - FourSquare Sensation

Workshop at the Ranch - November 2010 - FourSquare and EightSquare Assembly

[In the interest of full disclosure, I know or have met most if not all of the guys featured in the links and the guys behind the products I've mentioned: Paul Peregrine (Lightware), David Honl (Honl Photo), Dave Black, Robert Hanashiro, Matt Brown, assistant extraordinaire Shawn Cullen, etc. I don't have any commercial relation to them other than saying "Hey, look at what cool thing so-and-so did/wrote/made/etc."]
Old 04-11-2013   #27
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Little background, if I may.

The need for such a grip/stick is:
- To mount a flash and a Wescott Apollo softbox on it
- Can be be handled by the photographer (not an assistant or a friend or family member)
- Can fit in the luggage when traveling abroad
I don't quite get it: you use one hand on the camera and your other hand on the flash/umbrella combination ?

Why not a lightstand with the flash & umbrella attached to it, would give you two hands to shoot...

...580exII inside, plus a ST-E2 is what I use...

(Interfit Strobies XS Bracket, will hold your umbrella too : Strobies by Interfit)

...€0.02...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #28
Camel Breath

Good stuff, Michael
Old 04-11-2013   #29
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
I don't quite get it: you use one hand on the camera and your other hand on the flash/umbrella combination ?

Why not a lightstand with the flash & umbrella attached to it, would give you two hands to shoot...
Cheers, Max.

It's for when traveling abroad. For example, we are planning to go to Bhutan in late May. In this situation one needs to be able to pack the light modifier (hopefully in the luggage). Two, there is no guarantee that we will be able to hire a helper there. So one needs to rely on himself for lighting.
Old 04-11-2013   #30
Camel Breath

I used to carry a small light stand around almost everywhere, sort of like Dave Hobby describes on Strobist:

Strobist: Lighting 101 - Light Stands

I didn't bother drilling mine out; I just stuck one end in the water bottle holder of my backpack and used one of the compression straps on the side to keep the stand in place. I bungee-corded an umbrella to the stand itself, and always had one or two flashes inside my camera bag.

Of course, that was back when I was being paid (pennies) to be ready with the light stand at a moment's notice.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: