Flash posessed??? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Flash posessed???

Usually the only way to guarantee that you can shoot at the manufactures sync speed is if you are using all manufacturer's equipment - camera and flash.

The given sync speed with my Canon 7D is 1/250sec. With my Nissin Di866 that works fine until I hit about 1/2 power. The flash seems to be slightly delayed at about 1/2 to full power. At 1/2 power the max sync speed is 1/200 sec., 1/160 sec at full power.

With some studio strobes you can get the same effect. Having to reduce your shutter speed below the given sync speed is common if you use AlienBees.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462
Editing OK?: Ask First

Hi Don

Interesting observations, which in no way reflect my own experiences. May be this is a problem with cameras which have these super-fast shutters? I use my Pentax DSLRs (and SLRs) mostly with Metz flash guns, though I have a couple of Pentax flashes as well and even the odd Sunpak and ofcourse my Interfit studio lighting, and have had no such problems at all. I can reliably use the shortest x-synch time, my cameras provide, but that is longer (at 1/180s) than your 7D's.
Pentax uses Seiko shutters, which have proven quite reliable over time. (They have other glitches...)

If you experience problems with some older flash guns or with studio flash, this might be a problem with the burn time of some flash tubes. If you compare the burn time between compact on camera flash guns, lets say from an independent, but high-quality make, like Metz, you will notice, that their burn time varies with output but is generally much shorter, than the burn time of studio flashes. But the flash tube in the typical studio flash is much bigger, which explains at least part of the prolonged burn time. And then this might collide with a super-fast synch-speed, as your 7D provides.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes

Ben, I am pretty sure the low flash sync speed of my Nissin Di866 Pro is the fault of the circuit design of the flash.

Like I said, it only occurs at 1/2 to full power. At lower powers, where the flash duration is shorter and apparently the firing time is shorter, I can sync at 1/250.

I found the sync problem when I did my first testing of the flash after receiving it. It's no big deal and given the other capabilities and cost I am very happy with the flash.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
Ben, I am pretty sure the low flash sync speed of my Nissin Di866 Pro is the fault of the circuit design of the flash.

Like I said, it only occurs at 1/2 to full power. At lower powers, where the flash duration is shorter and apparently the firing time is shorter, I can sync at 1/250.

I found the sync problem when I did my first testing of the flash after receiving it. It's no big deal and given the other capabilities and cost I am very happy with the flash.
Hi Don

I especially referred to and built upon the opening sentence of your previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue
Usually the only way to guarantee that you can shoot at the manufactures sync speed is if you are using all manufacturer's equipment - camera and flash.
Which seems to indicate a more general problem, which I wouldn't know from my own experience. Obviously some flashes are slowlyer than other and the Nissin, you reffer to, seems to be one of those modells.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
Odd, I have no idea how it got stripped...
ISO 250
F 2.8
1/1000
Your answer is there. Most cameras have a maximum sync speed of 1/200th or 1/250th. If your flash/camera cannot support "high speed sync" then this is exactly the look it should be doing.

Even with cameras and flashes that do support this feature will sometimes do it too, if misconfigured or you disable HSS.

BTW, it is called High-Speed Sync for the Canon people, Auto-FP High Speed Sync (FP = Focal Plane), for the Nikon owners.

In this case, if you are using a Vivitar flash and a Canon or Nikon camera, you cannot exceed your camera's max sync speed (usually in the 1/250th range). The solution? Lower the shutter speed... or purchase OEM flashes that match your camera (ie: Nikon camera, Nikon flashes, etc...)

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryph View Post
Your answer is there. Most cameras have a maximum sync speed of 1/200th or 1/250th. If your flash/camera cannot support "high speed sync" then this is exactly the look it should be doing.

Even with cameras and flashes that do support this feature will sometimes do it too, if misconfigured or you disable HSS.

BTW, it is called High-Speed Sync for the Canon people, Auto-FP High Speed Sync (FP = Focal Plane), for the Nikon owners.

In this case, if you are using a Vivitar flash and a Canon or Nikon camera, you cannot exceed your camera's max sync speed (usually in the 1/250th range). The solution? Lower the shutter speed... or purchase OEM flashes that match your camera (ie: Nikon camera, Nikon flashes, etc...)
Thanks!!

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: