To Gimbal or not to Gimbal?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default To Gimbal or not to Gimbal?

Hi All.. I just wondered if anyone could help me out ASAP.

I am going to be photographing skydivers landing and I wonder if it was a good idea to purchase a gimbal or just to stick with a ballhead when using a tripod? I have seen a reasonably priced Manfrotto gimbal that would do the job.

At the moment I have a 70-200mm lens and although big(ish) it's not a huge zoom so is a gimbal really necessary?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hannah

Old 03-17-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: To Gimbal or not to Gimbal?

A gimbal head gives you much more control over movement than a ball head IMO. A ball head allows the camera to flip and flop and you will have little control with it.
That being said, hand holding a 200 mm lens is quite eash and you really don't need either of the above. Set the shutter to 6 or 800 and enjoy. You will have no trouble getting good exposures with that lens.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

A gimbal does give you control over both the vertical and horizontal as you follow the skydivers. They are really meant for use with large lenses above 300 or 400mm in focal length. I would disagree with golfer in that I have used both a gimbal head and a ball head and the latter does not "flip and flop" so you will have little control over it, unless you put a lens on it that is too large for the ball head to handle and the 70-200 would not be too large. A good ball head will give you control over your lens as will a good gimbal. Having said all that and having used a 70-200mm lens, I would guess that you can probably get just as good results hand-holding the lens as you can on a tripod, regardless of the head. You do have to use a slightly faster shutter speed when hand-holding, as golfer suggested. This simply helps reduce any shake that you might get from hand-holding. If you are in doubt, take your tripod and ball head with you and see how it works vs. hand-held shooting. Personally, I would not buy a gimbal just to shoot one event with a 70-200mm lens.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

I use both a RRS BH55 and a Wimberley head depending on the situation. I can see where a gimble could be handy for something like skydiving as your vertical axis is well defined, your horizontal axis is easy to control and switching from Landscape to Portrait orientation is easy if you are using a lens with a collar. As much as I love my BH55 I use my Wimberley on a sturdy monopod for air shows and it works excellently.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

It is really a matter of how your camera handling skills are and how ergonomic you camera grips and shutter release features are as well. My experience with shooting parachute training goes back many many long years ago- my stint in the Army. I was in an Airborne Division unit and I did make both motion picture and still photographs of landing techniques. In the day the pictures were made with a big bulky 4x5 press cameras and later on with fairly bulky medium format equipment. We were at fairly close range because we, as army personal, were allows on the field. Hand holding was no big problem at the time and the images were usually about 11X14 in size and in the case of medium format were made into full 2 1/4 projection slides. The motion pictures were made on Bell & Howell newsreel type cameras and were Tripod mounted on fluid heads.

If you are restricted to far shooting distances with longer lenses, a tripod or monopod may be advantageous. You may also consider other support devices such as gun-stock mounts or steady-cam like units which are now available for other than motion picture cameras or video cameras. Consider rentals of this kind of gear.

I found, over the years, that good hand held techniques are a matter of stance and practice.

I hope this helps in someway. I am now way too old to JUMP and never could figure out why any sane person wants to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. I guess in the day I was a bit more adventurous and a bit more crazy!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SHOOT!

Ed
Old 04-26-2013   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787

I like using a fluid pan head for following moving subjects, although the Manfrotto gimbal mount is also in my inventory.

One thing that I learned shooting Polaris Missile launches for the U.S. Navy is to use a triangular wedge between the camera and the tripod head. Using this wedge, the tripod pan handle is pointed up when the camera is parallel to the ground (or in my case, to the deck of the ship). That way, it is easier to follow a subject at a high angle. It would also be easier to follow a brd with the wedge between tripod head and camera.

We used a wedge that was about three feet long and made of plate steel. We shot with a pair of 16mm Mitchell motion picture cameras with 1,200 foot magazines (one at standard speed and one at high speed) and also had a 70mm high speed Hulcher still camera with 100 foot of 70mm film.

This rig was mounted on a 35mm Mitchell tripod with an O'Connor 50D fluid pan head... I would guess that the three camera rig with tripod, wedge and O'Conor 50 head weighed well in excess of one hundred pounds. We never moved the setup and assembled it piece by piece...

We secured the tripod to the ship's deck using aircraft tiedown chains attached to a ring that was spot welded to the shp's deck.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

Short & sweet Gimbal all the way
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Since you needed help as soon as possible and since this thread is now over a month old, I assume you have already photographed the landing of the skydiver. If so, please let us know how satisfied you were with what you used.

If I had been in your situation, I would not have purchased a high-priced gimbal head just for this event unless I were paid enough to justify the expenditure.

I have a Wimberley gimbal head but if I were shooting the event with a 70-200mm lens and one body, instead of the gimbal head or the ball head, I would probably just mount the lens directly to a monopod.

However, if I were shooting with two bodies and two longer telephoto lenses, I would then use the gimbal head and the ball head on the tripods.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/7254365342/in/photostream
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4365b sml.JPG (111.5 KB, 101 views)
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 7339

For sport with big lens the only way to go!
fs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
I am now way too old to JUMP and never could figure out why any sane person wants to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. I guess in the day I was a bit more adventurous and a bit more crazy!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SHOOT!

Ed

I am happy to jump from any aircraft, provided of course it is burning down around my ears! Short of that I will ride it out trusting in the skill of my pilot

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: