Memory cards
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Memory cards

What's the best between Sandisk and Kingston? I'm getting ready for a holiday and want to get another couple of 16GB cards. I need SDHC class 10 and already have 2 Integral Ultima cards that have been very good.

Old 02-12-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Default Re: Memory cards

I've used both and haven't had any problems. Whatever you buy, make sure you are buying from an authorized dealer as counterfeit cards are plentiful out there. If you get a great deal on memory cards on eBay or other bargain reseller, chances are VERY HIGH that you are getting something other than what's on the label.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #3
GTI
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27914
Editing OK?: Ask First

I've only ever used Sandisk and I've never had on fail on my in more than 5 years...
GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

I use Kingston and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Be sure you buy a card that is fast enough to keep up with the writing speed of your camera. If your card is slower than the writing speed you can quickly find your camera's buffer full and you can't take anymore shots.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Consult this. It might help you choose what looks best for your needs. Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD/XQD Performance Database

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 444

I've had a number of Sandisk's and one Kingston (in SD's). I've had two of the Sandisk's fail.

The good news was - with both of the cards the photo's were still available, but the card was no longer usable for writing operations. (Wouldn't format, couldn't delete files, create new files, etc)

Both were replaced under Sandisk's lifetime warranty. (Took quite a while to go through all the rigmarole but was eventually done).

Since then I've been advised that I should always change my cards read/write to lock before putting in any PC / card reader, and only ever let the camera do format or write operations.

I still have and use Sandisk cards as well as Kingston. Having only one Kingston card, I couldn't really give a fair comparison, but it was encouraging that the failure was one that didn't lose data, only caused the cards to be inoperable.

(Note: The problem was not due to the lock switch on either of the card, but seemed to be a failure somewhere in the electronics of it. Strange that both had exactly the same symptoms)
adza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 2689232

I only use Sandisk and have never had a problem.

Nikon D90, D50
18-200VR II, 70-300VR, 60f/2.8macro, 50f/1.4, 35f/1.8 and 18-70f/3.5-4.5
patrat236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787

I use Lexar CF cards. I have some old Kingston CF cards which I still use but have had 2 new Kingston CF cards fail. I no longer purchase that brand.

BTW: I have never experienced a CF card which worked from the start fail at any time thereafter. The two Kingston cards which failed; were bad out of the package...

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

Scan disc is generally considered the gold standard due. I've used Scan disc, Lexar (my favorite for the price) and Kingston. Scan disc no problems. One Lexar card failed but the card was replaced easily - company representative professional and responsible. I buy Lexar as a good blend of speed and price. Kingston card not used much but no problem. Delkin card well I won't get into it but just know I will never buy Delkin. Of course as I always say personal experience may vary. Last tip do NOT reformate the card until you have two back up copies on different drives or a drive and Disc.
Fred Haider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 689303

I use SanDisk, Lexar, and PNY Everyone works good other than I had a 8 GB PNY that went out on me. I was wondering i I could revive it. I don' know.

justdhf is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: