PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Camera Accessories (https://photocamel.com/forum/camera-accessories/)
-   -   Memory cards (https://photocamel.com/forum/camera-accessories/178183-memory-cards.html)

Dobbin 02-12-2013 03:29 PM

Memory cards

What's the best between Sandisk and Kingston? I'm getting ready for a holiday and want to get another couple of 16GB cards. I need SDHC class 10 and already have 2 Integral Ultima cards that have been very good.

zemlin 02-12-2013 03:37 PM

Re: Memory cards

I've used both and haven't had any problems. Whatever you buy, make sure you are buying from an authorized dealer as counterfeit cards are plentiful out there. If you get a great deal on memory cards on eBay or other bargain reseller, chances are VERY HIGH that you are getting something other than what's on the label.

GTI 02-23-2013 07:22 AM

I've only ever used Sandisk and I've never had on fail on my in more than 5 years...

Sailor Blue 02-23-2013 10:19 PM

I use Kingston and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Be sure you buy a card that is fast enough to keep up with the writing speed of your camera. If your card is slower than the writing speed you can quickly find your camera's buffer full and you can't take anymore shots.

gryphonslair99 02-23-2013 10:51 PM

Consult this. It might help you choose what looks best for your needs. Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD/XQD Performance Database

adza77 02-24-2013 05:24 AM

I've had a number of Sandisk's and one Kingston (in SD's). I've had two of the Sandisk's fail.

The good news was - with both of the cards the photo's were still available, but the card was no longer usable for writing operations. (Wouldn't format, couldn't delete files, create new files, etc)

Both were replaced under Sandisk's lifetime warranty. (Took quite a while to go through all the rigmarole but was eventually done).

Since then I've been advised that I should always change my cards read/write to lock before putting in any PC / card reader, and only ever let the camera do format or write operations.

I still have and use Sandisk cards as well as Kingston. Having only one Kingston card, I couldn't really give a fair comparison, but it was encouraging that the failure was one that didn't lose data, only caused the cards to be inoperable.

(Note: The problem was not due to the lock switch on either of the card, but seemed to be a failure somewhere in the electronics of it. Strange that both had exactly the same symptoms)

patrat236 02-24-2013 08:13 AM

I only use Sandisk and have never had a problem.

richardpcrowe 04-17-2013 10:25 PM

I use Lexar CF cards. I have some old Kingston CF cards which I still use but have had 2 new Kingston CF cards fail. I no longer purchase that brand.

BTW: I have never experienced a CF card which worked from the start fail at any time thereafter. The two Kingston cards which failed; were bad out of the package...

Fred Haider 04-19-2013 08:02 PM

Scan disc is generally considered the gold standard due. I've used Scan disc, Lexar (my favorite for the price) and Kingston. Scan disc no problems. One Lexar card failed but the card was replaced easily - company representative professional and responsible. I buy Lexar as a good blend of speed and price. Kingston card not used much but no problem. Delkin card well I won't get into it but just know I will never buy Delkin. Of course as I always say personal experience may vary. Last tip do NOT reformate the card until you have two back up copies on different drives or a drive and Disc.

justdhf 04-19-2013 11:33 PM

I use SanDisk, Lexar, and PNY Everyone works good other than I had a 8 GB PNY that went out on me. I was wondering i I could revive it. I don' know.