ND filters
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 486555
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default ND filters

So I learned today that I need to get some filters....specifically ND filters. I was out hiking around and wanted to take some creek/water shots with the snow...impossible. Best I could get was 1/13 @ f/22 & ISO 50 and this didn't give me what I was looking for.

I don't know a whole lot about ND filters and was looking for some input. Does anyone have some good articles/links on ND filters? Also, what are the advantages to a screw on type vs the square/rectangular type (not entirely sure of the name)? Where should I start? I have both a 77mm and 67mm filter size lens so it sure would be nice to be able to use one filter on both.

Critique encouraged.
photodoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Default Re: ND filters

If you don't require any graduated nd filters then you can stick with just the round (screw on) type. The cheaper off brands may have a tendency to impart a color cast so avoid those. Buy a 77mm filter and a 77 to 67mm step down ring so you can use one filter on all lenses. Get a good idea of about how much you wish to increase the exposure time before you go shopping. ND filters come in a wide variety of densities.
Old 02-04-2013   #3
Llama

I like the idea on the square filters that only part of the image frame can be covered. They just seem much more versatile. I feel this would work great for landscapes. what are the quality differences with the different materials?

Critique encouraged.
Old 02-05-2013   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 340977

Get the filter for the larger size and use a step up ring
scootermcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269892

Square filters are certainly more versatile. For covering only part of the frame graduated ND filters would be better. Cokin P system (84mm filters) or equivalent size from other manufacturers should be OK for your lenses. You would need adapter for each thread size but the same filter holder and filters will go on all lenses.
Old 02-12-2013   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 53094

You might want to take a look at the Genustech Eclipse, it is a variable ND filter. I have had some fun with mine.
www.genustech.tv/home/eclipse-nd-fader-77mm
patpap25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #7
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpap25 View Post
You might want to take a look at the Genustech Eclipse, it is a variable ND filter. I have had some fun with mine.
www.genustech.tv/home/eclipse-nd-fader-77mm
That is interesting. It doesn't allow for any gradients though so you have to do the whole scene. The price doesn't seem that bad either.

Critique encouraged.
Old 02-13-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924

Quote:
Originally Posted by photodoc1 View Post
That is interesting. It doesn't allow for any gradients though so you have to do the whole scene. The price doesn't seem that bad either.
The graduated ND filters cannot be designed as variable density filters. The two concepts are not compatible.
Old 02-13-2013   #9
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
The graduated ND filters cannot be designed as variable density filters. The two concepts are not compatible.
Yeah that is obvious, I was just stating it has limitations.

Critique encouraged.
Old 02-13-2013   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

You can use a square ND filter as a variable density ND filter. Just hold it in front of the lens and bob it up and down during a long exposure. The top will in effect be darker than the bottom or vice versa depending on whether you bob from the top or the bottom.

Many ND filters add a color cast. You can pretty well correct for this is you use a WB card but you will get the most accurate colors if you use a Color Checker card. I recommend the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport.

Robin Myers Imaging: Digital Gray Card

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport – X-Rite Photo – X-Rite Passport

With a strong ND filter you can get light leaking in through the viewfinder and spoiling your image. Be sure to block the viewfinder with long exposures. I think Nikon cameras have a viewfinder shutter while Canon includes a crappy piece of rubber that you attach to your camera strap and which fits into the viewfinder.

You can simulate a long exposure by combining multiple shorter exposures. One perfect example would be for your flowing water. Take sufficient exposures to equal the long exposure you want then use a program like Photoshop to stack them (turn off the remove ghosts functionality). The moving water will smooth out nicely. You might even wind up with an image that has less noise than from a single very long exposure.

If you want you can even use different exposures and create a HDR image. Whether or not you use different exposures the resulting file from stacking is a 32-bit one. This 32-bit image also allows you to do some amazing exposure modifications without banding.

If I remember correctly the stacked images are all on separate layers so you can do things like mask out sections of all but one layer. You would do this to leave the limbs of the trees still while allowing the water in all the layers to blur together. You can also do this to make a moving person disappear by removing them from each layer.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: