sorry I mean benbo
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 54
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default sorry I mean benbo

Long day I mean the benbo tripod I'm working to much Thank You

Old 02-01-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: sorry I mean benbo

Hi Yacob

it is not really necessary to start a new thread, just for correcting the product name - just as a side note.

Now to the Benbo. I don't have one - I have a massive Uni-Loc 2600, which is a sibbling of the Benbos (a Benbo engineer set up the Uni-Loc company). In my experience this very special type of tripods offer two main advantages:
1. they can be set up in almost any environment, because there legs and things can be positioned in every imagniable angle - that is wonderful. This allows also, to position the camera in whatever orientation and position you want - phantastic for macro work, in my experience. I like that especially for studio work.

2. at least in the Uni-Loc the leg sections are arranged contrary to the standard order. The extending tubes are thicker and glide outside the thinner tubing. That makes the legs completely sealed against water or sand, which might be a big advantage, especially for nature photographers.

BUT there are some things, which I wouldn't call "negatives", but which you need to know:
1. the tripod will simply collapse completely and any camera on top with it, if you loosen the center lock. THat is very different from a conventional tripod, but inherent in the Benbo/Uni-Loc system.
2. Setting up the tripod can be challenging, as sometimes I have the feeling I can get tangled in all those legs and center bars etc.
3. The Uni-Loc, despite being big and very heavy, is no good with long lenses, as firstly the vibration resistance cannot compete with my Feisol oder Gitzo (or even lowly Manfrotto 055) tripods, due to the construction principles. And secondly it is easy to set-up the Uni-Loc in a way, which would make it topple over, with a heavy lens lounted. You can place the camera and lens way beyond the center of mass of the tripod!

So in all honesty: I have bought the Uni-Loc some ten years ago and would never let it go. It is sturdy, reliable or more or less indestructable, but I would not use it as my only tripod. It is a special tool for special applications, in my experience.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

I have just purchased a Benbo tripod as an extra via Ebay. I had admired the design for many years now but would never replace (unless it broke) my sturdy Slik 88 tripod that has served me well for almost 30 years. Sturdy, strong and reliable...............so far.
Dobbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have had a Benbo Trecker for around 20 years and couldn't do without it. However it can take some getting used to, to begin with it is like wrestling with an octopus but there;s a nack. Extend the legs, then place the centre one of the three in front of you and onto the ground. THen hold the other 2 legs , one in each hand and place them either side of you, then put the centre column as you want and lock everything with the main lever. THen you can fit the camera on the centre column. If you loosen the main lever, make sure you hold the centre column before loosening the lever

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: