Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012   #1
F1 Camel
 
WesternGuy's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,891
CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Well, I have ordered my new Canon 600mm f/4L IS Mk II and thought that I had decided on a Wimberley II gimbal head to couple it with a Gitzo GT3542LS tripod + camera, of course. In a blog I was reading, Art Morris mentioned something called a Mongoose 3.6 gimbal head. This was a product I had never heard of and I am wondering if there are any folks out there that have experience with both that they would care to share. Right now, it seems that the Wimberley is the most stable with the larger lenses, but it also consumes more weight in your luggage if you want to travel with it. I am, therefore, interested in input from those that have used both, or used the Mongoose - interested in the pros and cons from experience. Thanks.

WesternGuy

__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
cyclohexane's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 10,883
CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Personally, I used to use the Wimberley II full head with a 600mm f/4, and ended up switching to this:

PG-02 FG: PG-02 Full Gimbal Head - PG-02-FG - Kit Configuration Page

I find it noticeably steadier with the longest, heaviest lenses such as the 600mm (though Canon's newest supertelephotos are much lighter than before), especially if you want to point it up at odd angles. It weighs about the same as the Wimberley II, and packs down smaller for travel when you tear it down.

It does cost a pretty penny, but so did your 600mm.
__________________
-Michael
cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #3
F1 Camel
 
WesternGuy's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,891
CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Personally, I used to use the Wimberley II full head with a 600mm f/4, and ended up switching to this:

PG-02 FG: PG-02 Full Gimbal Head - PG-02-FG - Kit Configuration Page

I find it noticeably steadier with the longest, heaviest lenses such as the 600mm (though Canon's newest supertelephotos are much lighter than before), especially if you want to point it up at odd angles. It weighs about the same as the Wimberley II, and packs down smaller for travel when you tear it down.

It does cost a pretty penny, but so did your 600mm.
Thanks Michael for letting me know about this one. You are right - it does cost a pretty penny or two - almost as much as the Gitzo tripod I am considering.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #4
Vicuna
 
Posts: 163
CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

The custom bracket has been my favorite one
CB Gimbal - Gimbal Series - Products - Custom Brackets
The drag is smooth and adjustable and for lighter lens you can take off the down arm reducing the weight to about 1 and a half pounds. It will handle light and heavy lens, easy take down for travel the Winberly the drag was more of an on or off type of thing.
Duce
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #5
F1 Camel
 
WesternGuy's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,891
CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Talking Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
The custom bracket has been my favorite one
CB Gimbal - Gimbal Series - Products - Custom Brackets
The drag is smooth and adjustable and for lighter lens you can take off the down arm reducing the weight to about 1 and a half pounds. It will handle light and heavy lens, easy take down for travel the Winberly the drag was more of an on or off type of thing.
Duce
It never ceases to amaze me the things that I find out from a simple request. Duce, thanks very much for this information, it is appreciated. I have sent them an e-mail asking for more information. My questions that I have for you:

1. How long have you had yours?
2. Have you had any problems with it or do you have complaints about it?
3. Which lens or lenses do you use it with?

One of my areas of interest is wildlife photography, particularly birds in flight - do you have any experience with this usage? Thanks for your help with this.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #6
Vicuna
 
Posts: 163
CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

I have had my GB gimble for a little over a year, I stll have another but have not used it since buying the GB. I have used it for airshows and birding with a 500mm lens. I have not had a single problem with it. It works great for birds in flight.

Duce
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #7
Vicuna
 
Posts: 163
CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

aditional note the other gimble heads I have used and tried the drag is either off or on and some can be more difficult to balance a long lens. The GB head makes it easy to balance the lens and dial in the exact amount of drag your want.
Duce
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
zemlin's Avatar
 
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,826
CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

I don't have any experience with gimbals, but as a mechanical engineer and machinist I have been VERY impressed with my Custom Brackets flash brackets. Very well made - they cut no corners. Great workmanship and very well designed.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #9
F1 Camel
 
WesternGuy's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,891
CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
I have had my GB gimble for a little over a year, I stll have another but have not used it since buying the GB. I have used it for airshows and birding with a 500mm lens. I have not had a single problem with it. It works great for birds in flight.

Duce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
aditional note the other gimble heads I have used and tried the drag is either off or on and some can be more difficult to balance a long lens. The GB head makes it easy to balance the lens and dial in the exact amount of drag your want.
Duce
Duce, thanks for the additional info - I am very much leaning towards this unit. I particularly like the feature that allows it to be broken down for ease of transport, as I do a fair amount of travel in pursuit of my hobby.

One additional question: did you require additional camera plates for their gimbal mount as I noticed that their site indicates that I would need their GLM 5.5 and 6.5 plates to accommodate a couple of my lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I don't have any experience with gimbals, but as a mechanical engineer and machinist I have been VERY impressed with my Custom Brackets flash brackets. Very well made - they cut no corners. Great workmanship and very well designed.
zemlin, thanks for the input. I am impressed by the description of the construction aspects of the gimbal unit and if, as you indicate, the quality is similar to that of their flash brackets, then your vote of confidence adds to my decision that this is probably the one to go for.

Thanks to both of you for your input, it is appreciated.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #10
Photocamel Master
 
icassell's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,947
CamelKarma: 12615712
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

I love my Induro GHB-2 -- considerably less expensive than the Wimberly and, I am told by Wimberly owners, that it is just as good (although I've never used the Wimberly). It also comes with an Arca Swiss plate so that is not an additional expense.

Yes, Artie is a fan of the Mongoose and there are several users of it on birdphotographers.net. I think one advantage is that it is supposed to be considerably lighter than the other gimbals.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
Ian http://www.icassell.smugmug.com

Canon 7D2, Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 500/4L,Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, Canon 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Canon 50/1.8 MkI, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM,Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Canon 17-55/2.8, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE, Sigma 1.4 and 2X EX ,Canon 1.4x II and 2x III, Induro CT313 tripod, AT214 tripod, Induro GHB-2 gimbal, Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EX, Olympus TG-3
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apex Bean Bag for Wimberly Head jmthompson Birds 8 01-05-2012 07:18 PM
mongoose i think andysnap Nature & Wildlife 10 10-25-2011 12:39 PM
5D Mk II - share your experience! Max@Home Canon 117 03-08-2009 06:16 PM
Canon EOS 5D Mark II experience gubak Canon 1 12-29-2008 07:20 AM
Wimberly II RobAmy Camera Equipment Reviews 2 03-08-2007 07:50 PM