Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

This is a link to B & H on the Siuri tripod
Sirui M-3204 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod BSRM3204 B&H Photo
Without the cross piace on the CB the tripod and gimble head weigh a little over 5 lbs of you have to hike very far.
Duce
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #22
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes

One other thing I learned about the Mongoose is that the lens probably will not be well balanced on it. With the CB or Wimberly, you can let go of the lens in any position and it will remain in balance. Not so with the Mongoose, it might balance in a level position, butwill be out of balance in any other.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12615712

Are you sure? Artie Morris swears by the Mongoose and talks about proper adjustment for balance. I've never played with one, so have no personal experience.

Canon 7D2, Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 500/4L,Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, Canon 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Canon 50/1.8 MkI, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM,Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Canon 17-55/2.8, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE, Sigma 1.4 and 2X EX ,Canon 1.4x II and 2x III, Induro CT313 tripod, AT214 tripod, Induro GHB-2 gimbal, Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EX, Olympus TG-3
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #24
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568

icassell: I am certain about my balance statement. If you will look at how the lens sets on the Mongoose, you will see that it would be high centered. That allows the lens to balance while level, but when tiped, the lens changes center and will tip up or down. The winberly design and others like it center the lens horizontally and vertically which allows the lens to remain in any position .is set.
I've no doubt the Mongoose is smooth and quick, but I don't want my lens to drop if I should leave it higher or lower than center on the Mongoose
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012   #25
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 4669529

I am in the market for one of these and the info provided has been most useful and welcome.

Just one question - around these parts I am seeing lots of people using Sachtler fluid heads.

Fluid heads

Opinions ??
bobobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012   #26
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Fluid heads are designed to be used with large camcorders/video cameras, often used for cinema or broadcast video.

They can be used for still photography of birds and wildlife with long lenses, but that is not their intended purpose. I've found them somewhat cumbersome for shooting stills, especially when compared to a gimbal head, which is purpose-built for shooting still images with a long lens.
Old 10-06-2012   #27
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
If you want to use the CB like the orginal mongoose you can remove the cross arm and use it that way and it`s only 1pound 7 oz. I use it with the cross arm most of the time. I use a Siuri carbon fiber tripod M 3402 that works great and is much less expensive than the gitzo. The tripod is rated for 40 lbs and has a leg that can be used as a monopod, Siuri uses forged metal instead of cast so there is not need to buy reinforcing plates.
Duce
Duce
Thanks for the info on the CB - yes I know you can use it like the original Mongoose, my only objection to this is that with the Mongoose, if you want the "low-rider" arm, it is additional $$$. I am not familiar with the Siuri tripods, but I will check them out.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
One other thing I learned about the Mongoose is that the lens probably will not be well balanced on it. With the CB or Wimberly, you can let go of the lens in any position and it will remain in balance. Not so with the Mongoose, it might balance in a level position, butwill be out of balance in any other.
This is an interesting "learning" - how did you learn this about the Mongoose?

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #29
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 4669529

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Fluid heads are designed to be used with large camcorders/video cameras, often used for cinema or broadcast video.

They can be used for still photography of birds and wildlife with long lenses, but that is not their intended purpose. I've found them somewhat cumbersome for shooting stills, especially when compared to a gimbal head, which is purpose-built for shooting still images with a long lens.
Thanks Michael.

Yes that is/was their intended purpose. But I have so far personally seen 5 guys using them. Speaking to them - they all used Wimberley's but have switched and said it gives them a better "feel". Also the "arm" means a simple up/down/sideways adjustment and the rig stays in that position.They were using 500-800s.

Went into a shop the other day and checked out their display model - it was very heavy. Also very expensive - ranging from 1200-1500usd.
bobobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #30
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12

I had a fluid head a couple of years ago but it is not ideal for sports of bird photography, the fluid makes for a smooth slower motion the is great for video but not so good for air shows, wildlife and sports.
Duce

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: