Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberly II or Mongoose 3.6 - interested in experience with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by icassell View Post
I love my Induro GHB-2 -- considerably less expensive than the Wimberly and, I am told by Wimberly owners, that it is just as good (although I've never used the Wimberly). It also comes with an Arca Swiss plate so that is not an additional expense.

Yes, Artie is a fan of the Mongoose and there are several users of it on birdphotographers.net. I think one advantage is that it is supposed to be considerably lighter than the other gimbals.
icassell, thanks for your insight, particularly why you think Artie is a fan of the Mongoose. I appreciate your thoughts on the Induro GBH-2 and will have another look at it, however I am coming the the conclusion that the CB gimbal may be the best one for me as I like the fact that it breaks down into pieces that are small enough for convenient packing and transport in my luggage, as well, it appears to have very decent construction.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First

A couple more advantages of the GB gimble, no cast parts, you can use it without the down and cross arm and it only weights 1 pound 7 oz. a little more with the arm and cross arm. You can raise the lens so it balances in the center and in the long axis. You do not need 2 gimbles one for standard and one for very long lens. The Monggoose you pay extra for the down and cross arm you don` with the GB.
Duce
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #13
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
A couple more advantages of the GB gimble, no cast parts, you can use it without the down and cross arm and it only weights 1 pound 7 oz. a little more with the arm and cross arm. You can raise the lens so it balances in the center and in the long axis. You do not need 2 gimbles one for standard and one for very long lens. The Monggoose you pay extra for the down and cross arm you don` with the GB.
Duce
No cast parts, does this mean they are machined? I was aware of the "two" different mounting aspects of the unit - does have some appeal for that also. I was also aware, from my research, that the Mongoose "down and cross arm" parts, or additons, were also additional $$$ - which sort of turned me off on this one anyway. . Thanks for refreshing my memory - I've been a way for awhile.

WesternGuy
Old 09-24-2012   #14
Vicuna

The parts are machined, and the moving parts have berrings not bushing.
Duce
Old 09-25-2012   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46181528

Although I have a 500L f4 I feel the cost of a gimbal to be excessive. At the moment I'm looking at a Lensmaster Gimbal Head LensMaster Gimbal Head which at a 1/3 of the price of a Wimberley looks to be great value and is getting good reviews.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1241
Bird Photographed Life List 1050
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #16
Vicuna

I hope it works for you everyone I know that has tried the inexpensive gimbles has bought a second one of the expensive gimbles. Try it first if you can, rent it if possible.
Duce
Old 09-25-2012   #17
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Although I have a 500L f4 I feel the cost of a gimbal to be excessive. At the moment I'm looking at a Lensmaster Gimbal Head LensMaster Gimbal Head which at a 1/3 of the price of a Wimberley looks to be great value and is getting good reviews.
As Duce said, "I hope it works for you" as I have learned that when it comes to photography accessories, you get what you pay for, at least most of the time - there are a few good deals scattered here and there, but as always, it is "Buyer Beware". I thank you for bringing this one to my attention.

WesternGuy
Old 10-03-2012   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes

Western Guy and Others, I have looked at a number of gimbals now and like the CB unit best IMO. The Mongoose is probably a fine unit, but I do not like tring to attach 10 lbs. of camera and lens to a side mount. It just appears to be a clumsy setup when making the initial installation.
I believe the Wimvereley is a great unit. Many people use it and there is very little bad news that I could find.
The CB breaks down, is very rigid, has a good flash mount and bearings instead of bushings. It is said to be very smooth and rigid.
Your mileage may vary.
Best wishes.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #19
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Western Guy and Others, I have looked at a number of gimbals now and like the CB unit best IMO. The Mongoose is probably a fine unit, but I do not like tring to attach 10 lbs. of camera and lens to a side mount. It just appears to be a clumsy setup when making the initial installation.
I believe the Wimvereley is a great unit. Many people use it and there is very little bad news that I could find.
The CB breaks down, is very rigid, has a good flash mount and bearings instead of bushings. It is said to be very smooth and rigid.
Your mileage may vary.
Best wishes.
golfer, thanks for the insight. You comments have helped to reinforce my decision to buy one. I have the same concern about the Mongoose system that you have, not only that, their low mount arm, if one chooses to go with that type of a setup, is another $100 on top of a price that already gives a low mount arm with other types of gimbal heads.

WesternGuy
Old 10-05-2012   #20
Vicuna

If you want to use the CB like the orginal mongoose you can remove the cross arm and use it that way and it`s only 1pound 7 oz. I use it with the cross arm most of the time. I use a Siuri carbon fiber tripod M 3402 that works great and is much less expensive than the gitzo. The tripod is rated for 40 lbs and has a leg that can be used as a monopod, Siuri uses forged metal instead of cast so there is not need to buy reinforcing plates.
Duce
Duce

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: