To Filter lens Or Not? - Page 7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012   #61
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: To Filter lens Or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7apd View Post
You may be right; after all, Canon only marketed their first fluorite lens 38 years ago.
Actually it was in 1969 (FL-F300mm f5.6) according to a Canon Professional Network article. Makes it 43 years ago.

Also fluorite lens elements are too fragile to be used as the end element in a camera lens. If such is required, then the fluorite is typically protected by an outer layer of optical glass. I don't know if they ever produced a camera lens with an exposed fluorite element. Fluorite is difficult to grind because of its fragility, which is why lenses using it cost so much more than those with ultra low dispersion glass. Many Canon L lenses use both, and it's my understanding that the fluorite is an internal element.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: