Lens Cap Storage
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 213252
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens Cap Storage

I was wondering how do you Camelians store very large Lens Caps, say caps of 77 mm dia or larger, when you are out shooting.
I thread smaller caps like 55 mm dia via a tiny hole in the cap. The thread then goes round the lens or is tied to the camera strap/lug.
I keep loosing my larger caps and it is difficult to get originals with their logos.
Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

They usually go someplace relatively secure in my bag until I'm done shooting.

If I'm on the move wearing my belt kit with lens, flash, etc. pouches, the belt pouches have little pockets for the lens caps.

Posted via mobile device; please excuse any potential typos.
Old 03-21-2012   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Lens Cap Storage

Lanyards similar to your method used to be popular. Basically, one end of the string was attached to a button that had adhesive and was stuck to the face of the lens cap. The other end of the string was tethered to the lens barrel. Looked like a good idea. I never could stand the lens cap swaying and swinging while I was shooting.

When we take the caps off the lenses, they are off for the day. They get put in the camera bag until the end of the day. It's been a long time since I had to replace a lens cap. If I lost one, I'd just replace it with a generic. For me, if someone can see the logo on the cap I'm going to look rather foolish for having not removed it before shooting. Oh, affecting re-sale value? I buy them to use and use up. Since I'm not in the trade market an authentic branded lens cap isn't worth much.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

I put mine either in my camera bag immediately I take the camera out of the bag or in a deep pocket of my jacket.
I would also find it annoying swinging about on a cord.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

I take it off with my left hand, so it goes in my left front pocket. When I finish shooting, it goes back on the lens until I need to shoot again. The lens cap is part of my two pronged lens protection system - cap and hood. Only my 10-22 has to survive with only the cap, since a hood is mostly useless on it.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 8546975

I take it off and stick it in my pocket, or in the eye-glass tray in the car, or in the bag, or in the trunk.... sometimes I leave it home...

Usually I look for it a couple of days later, when I notice that I have a lens without one...

I'm pretty sure that Canon would sell me another one if I needed one...

Flikr
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry D View Post
I take it off and stick it in my pocket, or in the eye-glass tray in the car, or in the bag, or in the trunk.... sometimes I leave it home...

Usually I look for it a couple of days later, when I notice that I have a lens without one...

I'm pretty sure that Canon would sell me another one if I needed one...
That pretty much covers it!

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

And God looked down on his creation and declared, "I gave woman good looks, I shall give man pockets."

The only lens cover I don't put in my pocket are ones for the 200mm f2.0, 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8. My pockets just aren't that big.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 213252

Some very interesting replies, especially the one for 200 mm to 400 mm lens caps. But very true.
Actually I had two things in mind worth considering, the last maybe useful for all of us:
1) The camera strap has a thick cross shaped stretchable web, where you push in the lens cap for storage. I am just not able to recall where I saw this on the net?
I remember buying a leather strap for my K1000 from Olden's of NY circa 1978 - allowed you to store 3 #s 35 mm film cans + some smaller accessories. Very clever.
2) Here in Bangalore, I see roadside vendors selling zippered pouches of all sizes and shapes - some double decker - that attaches to your waist belt with a loop on the pouch - cost 50 cents to $ 2. Maybe a good idea.
See, there are no pockets these days on T-shirts. And my trouser pockets are already loaded with the car keys, cell phone, purse, and a handkerchief - the inner "thief" pocket holds my tiny baby Browning pistol. So I have lost caps from my trouser pockets as the things jostle for space, especially when I sit.
Regards.
nanhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Mine goes into my pocket for the rest of the day.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: