Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod? - Page 6
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012   #51
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 50967
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod?

I found a camera store, about 25 miles away. Went there as part of my research for a tripod. I did not expect to buy anything. But I did, I thought it was too good to pass up. Once they heard what I want, a man went into their basement and pulled out an Induro C414. It is very tall combine fiber. At 6'1" it is even high for me without extending the center piece. The legs are thick and sturdy but not heavy. They sold it to me for $379. I thought it was a great deal. I am waiting for the Gimbal head to arrive, then give it a test. Wish me luck and thanks for the helpful ideas.
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #52
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticman View Post
I found a camera store, about 25 miles away. Went there as part of my research for a tripod. I did not expect to buy anything. But I did, I thought it was too good to pass up. Once they heard what I want, a man went into their basement and pulled out an Induro C414. It is very tall combine fiber. At 6'1" it is even high for me without extending the center piece. The legs are thick and sturdy but not heavy. They sold it to me for $379. I thought it was a great deal. I am waiting for the Gimbal head to arrive, then give it a test. Wish me luck and thanks for the helpful ideas.
Sounds interesting and a good deal - B&H is selling the same one for about $665. I will be interested to find out how you like the 4-section legs.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #53
Vicuna

The tripod is great. Light weight, sturdy, and tall. I went out yesterday with it, along with my recently arrived Gimbal head from Bieke. The head is a bit stiff, but from past reading I understand that can be remedied with lubrication and just use. Then I had an unexpected problem wit my D7000. It died on me. I drove about 40 miles, set up all my equipment to shoot eagles. They were all around, I took a few pictures then the D7000 showed a "ERR" on the display. At first I thought it was the memory card. It wasn't. Then a shutter problem, since the shutter wasn't coming down. I ended up taking it to a camera store and it's going to be shipped to Nikon. I had it for 2 years so unfortunately the warranty expired. The people at the camera place said it's only the 2nd time someone came in with a D7000. So it sounds like the D7000 has a good track record as it has had for me up to this point. I'll have to wait 3 to 4 weeks to get it back. A bummer for me. Nikon has their facility in Long Island, NY. So they have a bit of a backlog due to Hurricane Sandy.
Old 11-18-2012   #54
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Unhappy Re: Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticman View Post
The tripod is great. Light weight, sturdy, and tall. I went out yesterday with it, along with my recently arrived Gimbal head from Bieke. The head is a bit stiff, but from past reading I understand that can be remedied with lubrication and just use. Then I had an unexpected problem wit my D7000. It died on me. I drove about 40 miles, set up all my equipment to shoot eagles. They were all around, I took a few pictures then the D7000 showed a "ERR" on the display. At first I thought it was the memory card. It wasn't. Then a shutter problem, since the shutter wasn't coming down. I ended up taking it to a camera store and it's going to be shipped to Nikon. I had it for 2 years so unfortunately the warranty expired. The people at the camera place said it's only the 2nd time someone came in with a D7000. So it sounds like the D7000 has a good track record as it has had for me up to this point. I'll have to wait 3 to 4 weeks to get it back. A bummer for me. Nikon has their facility in Long Island, NY. So they have a bit of a backlog due to Hurricane Sandy.
Ouch, what a bummer! You have just given me another good reason to keep my old 5D Classic around. Too bad about the warranty thing, but Murphy is always around. I hope this isn't a real expensive fix and that you are back in the field in no time at all. Glad the tripod and gimbal are working for you - post a pic of the setup when you get your camera back.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #55
Vicuna

Thanks WesternGuy
Old 11-18-2012   #56
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes

Celticman; sorry to hear about your Nikon. From what I have heard they are good cameras. Be sure and post some shots wieh you get it back.
Best wishes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: