Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod?

Quote:
Went to Canon USA. 600mm f4 VII. 3920 grams=8.64lb! OMG!
Holy crap that's absolutely insane. Some of the earlier 300mm f/2.8 lenses are in that ballpark.
Old 03-18-2012   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Holy crap that's absolutely insane.
Obviously, Canon has some folks that are "passionate" about weight in their super telephotos! Certainly "raises the bar" in technology, if not in price!
But no kidding...you're right! This is certainly "history in the making"! Yea, we old guys, who have to lug around the "old stuff" () are certainly envious!!!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #23
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapman View Post
Went to Canon USA. (Doh! Should've done that first!) 600mm f4 VII. 3920 grams=8.64lb! OMG!
But for well-heeled buyers only at about $13,000USD.
Specs are IMPRESSIVE! My Nikon 400mm f2.8 weighs 10.16LB!
Obviously, they'll sell as many as they will make!
Well, its only money and you only go around once!! I planned well for my retirement and besides, why would I want to leave all that money to my kids, they can get their own, and this is one old guy who doesn't want to lug around the "old stuff" - getting too old!

Our local camera guys have it listed for just over $11K (Cdn) and well my patience isn't being taxed that much, however the lens will be - we have this thing called a GST which adds 5% to purchases such as these - government has to get their cut you know, but at least we have no provincial sales tax which in some provinces adds another 8% to purchases (ouch ) Looking forward to it - when it arrives that is.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

Take a look at this web site I have a Fancier tripod Carbon fiber 8x wraps of carbon fiber. its 3.4oz I have a off center ball hear and they work great together
so take a gander at this site they also show a gimbel type head

Ningbo Fancier Photographic Equipment Co.,Ltd.
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #25
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 818563

i meant the Wimberly wh-200 vII, don't let them sell you the old stuff! lol
NorthVanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #26
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf66 View Post
Take a look at this web site I have a Fancier tripod Carbon fiber 8x wraps of carbon fiber. its 3.4oz I have a off center ball hear and they work great together
so take a gander at this site they also show a gimbel type head

Ningbo Fancier Photographic Equipment Co.,Ltd.
Thanks for the reference. I have bookmarked it and will review it as part of my research.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old 03-19-2012   #27
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanMike View Post
Mike, thanks for straightening that out - you meant this one - Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head. I definitely won't let them sell me the old stuff.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old 03-19-2012   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanMike View Post
Hey, what’s wrong with the old stuff? I would not hesitate buying the old stuff for the right price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6026207555/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olympus 07 sml.JPG (79.6 KB, 59 views)
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #29
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19

I use a Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod with either an Arca-Swiss B2 or a Wimberly II Gimbal for my Sigmonster (300-800 f5.6).
24X36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #30
cft
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 9043

WesternGuy:

There are a lot of very good ideas in this thread. Three years ago, when I was choosing a tripod for a trip to Yellowstone with a rented Nikon 600mm, I bought a RRS gimbal head tripod combo. All of their stuff is very well made, high quality machining, in the US. I continue to use this system with a 200-400 or 300mm with a 2x extender.

1)Cross border: Southern Alberta – how far south? I live in Vancouver and use a delivery address in a small town just south of the border for US purchases and bring them across myself. At the border they just charge HST (does Alberta have that?) and sometimes they just skip that as well especially for amounts below $400. A set of tires balanced on rims were 40% less. I purchase through Adorama, B&H, and RRS on line with a Canadian US currency MasterCard.
2)RRS: They have a “dovetail plate” that attaches to the bottom of the ball head or gimbal. You mount a clamp to the top of the tripod – no tools or screwing to switch between a gimbal for BIF long lens to a ball head for a landscape regular or macro lens.
3)Use blue Loctite 242 which comes in a red bottle.
4)I came late to the photo hobby in retirement and chose the RRS system after seeing some of their stuff at a Nikonian workshop. It is top end stuff, more expensive, good service, made in US, and only sold on line.
5)I use their BH-55 Full-Size Ballhead, PG-02 FG: PG-02 Full Gimbal Head (optional PG-02 LLR: Pano-Gimbal Head with LLR – no Cradle Clamp or vertical rail), Versa Series 3 Tripod (optional 147mm, 125mm, or 177mm), MH02-LR Pkg: MC-34 Monopod + MH-02 LR</SPAN>, TH-DVTL-55: Round Dovetail Plates, Lens Support Pkg - dual Quick-release clamps, lens foot replacements, camera L-plates, and miscellaneous rails.</SPAN>
6)You save a “little” if you buy a package e.g. Tirpod + ball head.

Last thought – http://www.bythom.com/support.htm for an article on tripods. He is mostly a Nikon shooter but his general equipment and photo essays are very very good.

Enjoy. Cal

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: