Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13883368
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Wimberley gimbal head and what tripod?

Western Guy:
I believe I purchased my Fiesol from Adorama after seeing this thread on the Camel:
http://photocamel.com/forum/camera-a...date-time.html

Given my very limited use so far I consider the features/quality of the Feisol as good as the Gitzo. I have no experience with there ball head.
UgashikBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgashikBob View Post
Western Guy:
I believe I purchased my Fiesol from Adorama after seeing this thread on the Camel:
http://photocamel.com/forum/camera-a...date-time.html

Given my very limited use so far I consider the features/quality of the Feisol as good as the Gitzo. I have no experience with there ball head.
Bob, thanks for the reference - I did find them on B&H and Adorama - not sure why I couldn't find them before - maybe I spelled the name wrong - easy to interchange the "i" and the "e" (LOL). Can't find a Canadian store that carries them, which is a shame because they look like "good stuff". I don't like to order from the US for bigger ticket items because for any warranty, service is usually not available in Canada and that means having to send them back to the States, which can be a pain. As well, UPS, which Adorama uses for deliveries to Canada, seems to stick a 25% "border broker" fee onto everything - B&H and Purolater, not so bad. The quest continues!

Cheers,

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
Is there a specific Loc-Tite product that you use?
The product has a crimson color. There are various strengths of Loc-Tite. You don't need the strongest formula. You may want to intentionally remove the feet someday! BTW...I meant to say three or four section legs! Never seen a tripod with four legs!!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1508066
Editing OK?: Yes

A tip on the Wimberly head. I use one on my 500mm f4 Nikon and it works great. Call them up and talk to them. I am lucky as they are local to me. IF you call them and ask about their refurbished heads you can save a bit of money. They give a test period and people buy them and sometimes return them. They are in perfectly good working shape but might have a ding or a scratch. I did it and you can not tell it was used. Also, I got used foot to put on the bottom of my lens to make the attachment a bit stronger.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapman View Post
The product has a crimson color. There are various strengths of Loc-Tite. You don't need the strongest formula. You may want to intentionally remove the feet someday! BTW...I meant to say three or four section legs! Never seen a tripod with four legs!!
Thanks for the info - I kinda figured that is what you meant about the legs vs. sections, but it did make me stop and think for a minute - maybe you knew something I didn't -

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old 03-17-2012   #16
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstafl View Post
A tip on the Wimberly head. I use one on my 500mm f4 Nikon and it works great. Call them up and talk to them. I am lucky as they are local to me. IF you call them and ask about their refurbished heads you can save a bit of money. They give a test period and people buy them and sometimes return them. They are in perfectly good working shape but might have a ding or a scratch. I did it and you can not tell it was used. Also, I got used foot to put on the bottom of my lens to make the attachment a bit stronger.
Good to know, thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old 03-18-2012   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 818563

are you getting the vII ?
NorthVanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #18
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanMike View Post

are you getting the vII ?
If by the "vII", you mean the Canon 600mm f4L IS II USM, then that is the plan. It isn't out yet, so I will sit and wait and watch and wait and wait...well you get the idea .

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old 03-18-2012   #19
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
Canon 600mm f4L IS II USM
I can appreciate you waiting for the VII. VI weighs almost 12lb!!! Have been looking for the specs re weight on VII, and I know Rob Galbraith had it on his site once, but I can't seem to find it right away!
Can't imagine what this puppy's going to cost when available! The new 400mm f2.8 VII is $11,500! But it "only" weighs 8.5lb...so I guess you pay for the R&D, and the most modern technology in metallurgy and optics!
But I'll agree with anyone that says great glass appreciates in value! Many examples to cite!
Much luck with your purchase, as well as the tax on your patience in ultimately finding one!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #20
Photocamel Master

Went to Canon USA. (Doh! Should've done that first!) 600mm f4 VII. 3920 grams=8.64lb! OMG!
But for well-heeled buyers only at about $13,000USD.
Specs are IMPRESSIVE! My Nikon 400mm f2.8 weighs 10.16LB!
Obviously, they'll sell as many as they will make!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: