Lens Baby
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 920
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens Baby

I don't know if there's a thread about this anywhere, but what are your thoughts on lens babies? For creative shots, not events. Any pros/cons you guys know of, personally? I'm debating on buying a basic kit.

Visual Art Portfolio

Social media is a vital part of today's networking game: Facebook.
kgornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Lens Baby

My thoughts? Some people apparently like the effcts achieved by the Lensbaby, many do not. I'd rather take sharp photos with good lenses and possibly, but not likely, really screw them up in an image editor. A photographer can be more creative while doing straight photography than by imitating poor photography.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes

I have one of the older lensbabies. I enjoy it when I have time to play with it. The only thing is, my old eyes don't see to manual focus as well as I'd like. But still, it's fun, even if it takes some time to change out the aperture rings.

I definitely wouldn't be able to do anything with it on a 'quick' basis.
Old 03-10-2012   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 920
Editing OK?: No

There aren't any with auto focus either? Thought there were. Hm. Yeah I'm debating still, so I'm glad you guys are putting your input in.

Visual Art Portfolio

Social media is a vital part of today's networking game: Facebook.
kgornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I have one and love it! I use it more than I thought I would. I do wish that I would have got the one with the focus ring. I got the basic muze. It is a bit tough to get just right some times. I use it a lot in commercial photography and at weddings.
hope this helps.
CDPofNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15915

I have one the Composer sweet optic 35...its good, but obviously I havent used it long enough to achieve the results I see on the web. I only bought at xmas...
patriciaann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

if you have the mind to you can create a lot of what lens babys do yourself with out spending a lot of money:
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4549

Most of the examples I see for lens babies are used for selective focus with most of the image blurred. Why not do the blur in post?
sbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1942889

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgornia View Post
what are your thoughts on lens babies?
I think they are absolutely brilliant. Put a ten cent piece of plastic lens inside a fifty cent piece of corrugated hose, then charge $250 for it. The lens baby is the pet rock of photography.

I'm not in love with the photos I've seen that were taken with lens babies, but I sure wish I'd thought of it.
.................................Weston
w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27066

When the Lensbaby first came out it looked like a toy and the images I saw were way overdone. I swore that a Lensbaby was one piece of photographic equipment I would never own. Fast forward to the introduction of the Lensbaby Composer and Optic Swap system. Lensbaby finally made a product that looked more professional and less like a toy with a variety of optics whose results could be easily controlled and replicated. A year ago I did what I swore I would never do and I bought a Lensbaby Composer along with several of the Optics as well as several accessories. I have since then added the Composer Pro along with all the swapable Optics, except for the fisheye, and most recently added the Edge 80 and Macro converters. Business commitments this past year has not afforded me the opportunity to spend a lot of time using my Lensbaby products but I do see the creative opportunities they offer with effects that cannot be replicated by stadard lenses nor easily created in post.

I think most skeptics, like myself up till one year ago, are not aware of the newer Lensbaby products nor have they taken the time to look through the Galleries to find images they may like and to see what optics and accessories were used to create those images. If you haven't looked through the Lensbaby galleries here's the link Lensbaby - Photo Gallery. I personally am not a big fan of most of the images that are out of focus or whose selective focus is overdone but I am open minded enough to see a lot of creative potential from the Lensbaby products.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: