Best still only tripod for under $500 - Page 8
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012   #71
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 844
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Best still only tripod for under $500

I was thinking about getting a Gorillapod for a SLR-Zoom + Ball Head for travelling and was wondering just how good they are? According to the reviews I've read, they seem very stable but I would appreciate independant views from our Photocamel members
Old 05-15-2012   #72
Vicuna

I was surprised that I only got one person to reply about night photography but I was more surprised that no one replied about the Gorillapod.

I will answer my own query about the Gorillapod, as I just bought one today and although I've only tried it for one day, I'm amazed at its versatility, I just hope I don't have to eat my words in a week or two after continuous use. I know it wont be as good as a conventional tripod, but for anyone going on long trips, it's much more convenient than lugging a tripod
Old 05-15-2012   #73
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4549
Editing OK?: Ask First

I also just ordered a gorilla pod for use in situations where tripods are not allowed. The recommendations I got from reviews was to order one size higher than Joby's specs indicated as they tend to creep. So although I was initially planning to get the slr-zoom version I ended up going for the focus + ballhead X combination. I guess I will see when it arrives.

Stephen
Old 05-15-2012   #74
Vicuna

Hi Stephen,

It's a pity I never got that information prior to me buying the SLR-Zoom, as your one might be even better than the one I bought but the one I've got seems OK.

Thanks for replying

Gerry
Old 05-16-2012   #75
Llama

CamelKarma: 32454
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry908 View Post
I was surprised that I only got one person to reply about night photography but I was more surprised that no one replied about the Gorillapod.

I will answer my own query about the Gorillapod, as I just bought one today and although I've only tried it for one day, I'm amazed at its versatility, I just hope I don't have to eat my words in a week or two after continuous use. I know it wont be as good as a conventional tripod, but for anyone going on long trips, it's much more convenient than lugging a tripod
Gerry, if you are still looking for help on the night photography I would suggest starting a new thread in the Architecture and Cityscapes forum. You have asked your questions on page 7 of a thread in the accessories forum, you won't find a lot of people to answer your questions here.
Old 05-16-2012   #76
Vicuna

Thanks for your advice dgdphoto and I will do that

Gerry
Old 05-17-2012   #77
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4549

Gerry -- well I might end up ordering the slr-zoom too if I find the focus is overkill. Since this is going not going to be my main tripod I really want the smallest one that will do the job.
Old 05-17-2012   #78
Vicuna

Although I like the SLR-Zoom, I would have liked the legs just that little bit longer, as when I what to wrap it around something like a 4" x 4", those few extra centimetres would have come in handy but other than that, it's excellent
Old 05-24-2012   #79
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12

look at the Sirui M3204 it is carbon fiber with a weight limit of 40 pounds, quality metal parts and it is under $440, I have one and like it very much and it has a leg that can be a monopod.
Duce
Old 05-27-2012   #80
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2997

I have 3 Bogen 3035 leg sets made out of heavy aluminum. For 2 of them, I use Bogen 3047 heads. They easily support a heavy RB 67 with a 250mm lens, CDS prism finder, and 220 Back. No fear of this outfit falling over. I use a Gitzo head on my third leg set to support a 4 x 5 monorail view camera. The head is model RN 0 4. It is very old but massive. It would take a blast of dynamite to tip it over. If it is windy out, the bellows can act like a sail. So I take a 10lb weight and attach it to one of the tripod legs for additional stability.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: