Clean rusted contacts? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Clean rusted contacts?

Very fine wet/dry sand paper works well as well.

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2564
Editing OK?: Yes

I prefer Scotch-Brite pads over steel wool as an abrasive, for the above mentioned reasons. A pencil style typewriter eraser is a valuable part of my tool kit, as are a number of small polishing "points" that I use with a Dremel tool.
I've salvaged many corroded contacts over the years using these, as well as the appropriate chemical to treat the corrosion.

On the pictured contacts, if it were mine, I would remove them completely for cleaning, as chances are, the undersides are full of corrosion just waiting to re-bloom. You can easily re-weld them back in place using a soldering gun and a piece of scrap plastic. Or even glue them back down.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2011   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

I would try a pencil eraser, though I am sure you have alreay done this job.
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 6797

It worked! Huzzah! thanks all of you for your help, I searched the whole house for a decent rubber, found a few fossilised ones but they didn't do much so resorted to a small bit of smooth sandpaper, and scratching the fiddly bits gently with a scalpel. I now have two working flashes

However my eager first experiments are already thwarted, it turns out you can't use a sb-28 to trigger another sb-28?? I'm shooting with a wireless trigger attached two one of them, and with a D5000 body (so I guess im already asking alot) looks like another wireless receiver will be next on my list!
digitaltoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

There are optical triggers you can get to fire the second flash. We just started carrying a pretty good one made by promaster that is ~ $20 I think.
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 90036
Editing OK?: No

Corrosion will start again soon, or at least oxidation so use a good deoxidizer such as Caig Laboratories De-Oxit D-5.
If you plan to use it for a while, scratched and sanded contacts will not last long, replace them or remove them and take them to a plating shop to plate the surface.
Sanding or even erases are hard on contact resistance to rapid corrosion and increasing contact resistance. The very last thing you should do on electronics contacts is use an abrasive. A thin layer of oxide of the metal surface builds up and protects it from further oxidation. Oxides of metals are insulators, very good ones but if the layer is thin, a few molecules, a sufficient potential across the gap will break through for normal current flow. When the oxide is disturbed it can grow to be difficult to span buy the low voltages in the circuit and become an unreliable contact. Abrasives score and roughen the surface that makes corrosion to accelerate by presenting a larger surface area of ragged metal.

St Petersburg Russia
km6xz is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic:

Tags
rusty