Recommendation on Bags and Tripod Traveling Issue
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Recommendation on Bags and Tripod Traveling Issue

Hello Everyone...

I hope you all are enjoying the weekend. I haven't been on much do to my very busy schedule this last week, but I hope to be on more often to contribute what little I know this next week...

I have a question. I have a camera backpack already, but am getting ready to go on a trip in November and I am very limited to the amount of luggage I carry with me. I usually take my camera bag and then a computer bag for my laptop, but no can do this time. ..

Any recommendations on a camera bag that will hold two bodies, two lenses, etc and a laptop

I know this question probably doesn't fit here, but has anyone ever carried on a tripod or do you usually stick it in your check luggage as I have done that before? Or can you hook it to your camera bag if there is a slot and have it be included with the bag?

Thank you everyone!

Michele

Old 08-27-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 80
Default Re: Recommendation on Bags and Tripod Traveling Issue

Sounds like a Kata R-103 would be perfect for you. I bought mine for travel and to take my gear on my motorcycle. It's built like a tank! You won't have any worries bout the safety of your gear in any conditions. It's not a hardcase or anything so don't check it with your luggage. But who would do that to their loved camera equipment anyway.

These pics don't show the laptop compartment but its hidden in the back panel.
http://www.pbase.com/d2creative/kata_r103
It also comes with the attachement to hold your tripod either on the side of the bag of on the front.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into it. Have you ever carried a tripod on a plane on the side of your camera bag? I am unable to check anything on this flight as I will be flying stand-by, so I am only taking a small luggage bag (carryon size) and my camera bag w/ laptop. I thought of just shipping my tripod to my destination since my uncle lives in the same town and will be visiting him once I arrive.

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

You could also look at Lowe Pro. I have their
Computreker AW backpack and it is really nice.
And it is also airline approved.

Cheers,
Robin
Old 09-01-2005   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 28

I like LowePro too. they have a great environmental plan for a company and make great bags.
Old 09-15-2005   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

Michele,
Call your airline and ask if you will be permitted to carry on a tripod!!! I think that tripods might just fall into the category of 'club like devices'.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 28

I have been carrying on my Tripod since I have had it. Never had a problem with it. Just attached to the back of my bag.
Old 10-07-2005   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

I just checked both the TSA http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1012.xml and United airlines websites. Photographic tripods are *not* on the list of things that are prohibited as carry-on. Interestingly, some less-likely-to-be-used-as-clubs items are on the list that are probitied as carryons...pool cues! Tripods are much more useful as a club than a lightweight pool cue, aren't they?!?!? Go figure!

Other things make sense...baseball bats, cricket bats

Item -- Carryon -- Checked
Baseball Bats No Yes
Bows and Arrows No Yes
Cricket Bats No Yes
Golf Clubs No Yes
Hockey Sticks No Yes
Lacrosse Sticks No Yes
Pool Cues No Yes
Ski Poles No Yes
Spear Guns

Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #9
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

Lowpro quality

All comments welcome and appreciated
London England
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: