What Camera Bag? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 54
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What Camera Bag?

I also got the Lowepro 202aw for x.mas the bag is great.
YACOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297
Editing OK?: Yes

Wow so I have four different bags to be honest. I am always looking for the holy grail of photography...a bag that makes my equipment less heavy. I have tried it all. Here is my (still forming opinion):

1. Backpack: Great to carry heavy items giving you the least amount of strain. Impossible to reach quickly to change lenses and the like.

2. Mr Gadget type Belt Systems: There are a few out there with a good option from Thinktank. These systems allow you to carry the load and distribute the weight well. The problem is that it draws allot of attention from EVERYONE. This includes thieves, police and casual pedestrians. Not a viable option to take on an airplane with you.

3. Sling bags: Are ok at weight distribution and conceal very well and are fairly easy to access to change lenses. They usually do not carry too much gear and if they do rapidly lose their distribution qualities.

4. Shoulder Bags: Easiest access to equipment, conceal very well but are VERY heavy.

I have used a Lowpro backpack, a sling bag, small shoulder bag, Mr Gadget type system and now am trying the Thinktank Urban Disguise (converts from Backpack to shoulder carry). So for the above reasons I am not thrilled with any of the options.

Every day I am getting heavier lenses (I just got the 70-200 nikon which weighs more then my car) and I am finding that it is becoming very difficult to carry it all.

Thus far my best rig setup is the Lowpro backpack and packing separately the sling. I leave the backpack with all the chargers and stuff I will not need and only take the sling bag when I shoot.

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 1170

I've gone through many camera bags trying to balance weight, accessibility and ability to carry what I need.

My favorite bag for both comfort and accessibility is a small shoulder Tamrac bag. It has also lasted me the longest - I have had the bag (OMG!!!) for more then 20 years now. Sadly though it just doesn't fit a Pro body with the vertical grip. It also lacks space for lager lens.

My next bag that I used for quite a few years was a Lowepro backpack (Photo Trekker AW II). It is huge and holds everything that I would ever need. It has a spot in the back for a laptop. But it is very hard to pull out a camera or other equipment without taking it off. The weight was also an issue. The day after I would carry this bag around touring I would be sore.

I have looked at the module system from ThinkTank. There bags are extreme well made, very well thought out and the belt / module system very comfortable. Great for location shooting but hard to store anything in the pouches. The price was also higher than Lowepro or Tamrac.

Crumpler is another brand that I looked at. Lifetime warranty on their bags. Similarly priced to ThinkTank and very well made. I still wonder if I should have purchased the 8 million dollar model.

I now use a Tamrac shoulder bag. It is the Adventure Messenger 5. It doesn't carry everything like my backpack did, but I do find it comfortable and easy to access my gear. I also picked it up for only $50.00 (it was on sale for 1/2 price) compared to the $200.00 price for the Crumpler or the ThinkTank. The bag does have a compartment for a laptop but I never use it for this. I use it to hold filters or other gear. The laptop just adds to much weight.

I think all four manufactures made extremely well made products.

I like what I saw one guy do when I was at the local camera store. He took his old bag with the gear that he normally carries and started trying new bags. Put all of his gear into the bag and put it on to check out the balance and comfort.
webfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

If the OP is still around, a good source to check out bags. Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 1170

gryphonslair99 - that's a great website. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had known about this site when I was purchasing a new bag.
webfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 369

I'm a fan of my tamrac backpack, though being completely honest, I use it mainly to hold stuff or when traveling. Only goes out to shoot with me when I drag everything, which for street shooting or club/concert rare.

If the market supported it, I'd try my hand at a leather satchel/bag and see how it went over. But I think the end price tag would be too much for most people. I may have to try my hand at it though, just for kicks.
Kristov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I have a digital camera package, if you want to know, then you can contact me
zaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787

I use a backpack when traveling to transport my gear but, find that it is pretty unhandy when shooting.

I generally shoot wearing a photo vest and I can stow much of my necessary gear in the vest pockets (as long as I don't misplace the equipment in the myriad of vest pockets).

I most often shoot with a pair of cameras and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS along with a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

Depending on the venue, I will carry the two cameras in two different ways...

1. Using an OPTECH Dual Harness. I will most often use this method when I shoot with two flash mounted cameras.

2. Carrying the camera with the shorter lens on a neck strap and the camera with the longer lens in a TAMRAC Zoom-90 holster case.

BTW: I always carry at least an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each camera (back pocket of my photo vest) in case of precipitation or blowing dust.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12139

You might as well have asked, "What Car"? Every photographer has multiple bags for different situations. There are as many different size/function bags as there are cameras/lenses.

Nikon D7000, D800, Sony Alpha NEX-5N
bobmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask first

Bob,
I know, that's why I'm asking for the opinions of others.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: