Burnt out LCD, but could charger still work?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 388
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Burnt out LCD, but could charger still work?

I have a Powerex 8 cell charger.

I failed to notice fraying on the adapter right as the wires are coming from the wall plug.

Well, I believe I shorter out the charger. If not that, then something.

I bought a new wall plug, put it on the right voltage and spliced the wires together. When I plug in the male part of the power supply into the actual charger back, I get nothing. When I feel the wall plug, it's "vibrating" (for use of a better word) so it's doing something but nothing is showing on the charger that it's working.

Once opened up, there is no "reset" button, no fuse (probably not big enough to have one anyways) so I'm not sure of anything else to do. I was thinking though that I might have "burnt" out the LCD and it will still charge? Possibility? Could there be a way to check. I want to do all posibilities becuase this was a $90 charger and I would rather not just buy another one.

Is there anything else I can do? Currently, I am having my SB-800 on full power and just cycling flashed until they are dead and then put the batteries on the charger.

~Michael~

D3 D300
l 24-70 2.8 l 70-200 2.8 VR I l Sigma 150 2.8 Bugma l 50 1.8 l 28 2.8 l SB-800 l Manfrotto 055XBPro and Ball Head

Some people see things
and say
WHY?
I look at things
and Say
Why NOT?
iflynething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Burnt out LCD, but could charger still work?

Check the voltage on the terminals for the charger. Personally, I figure if you had a short that would cause your LCD to go out, it was probably enough to damage some of the rectifiers in the charging circuitry. You also don't know if any of the safety features were damaged. You could end up overcharging the batteries and causing a fire.

Looking at the info for your charger, all 8 cells are independent, so it could be that some of them will still work. If you're going to try to keep using it, I would probably do the first few attempt outside. Also, I wouldn't plug it directly into the wall outlet. Plug it into a surge suppressor with a GFCI instead. Keep an eye on it and don't leave it unattended. Also watch for any signs of overheating.

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 388
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Burnt out LCD, but could charger still work?

I'll have to wait to get a voltmeter.

I saw sparks with the old plug so I can only imagine what happened.

~Michael~

D3 D300
l 24-70 2.8 l 70-200 2.8 VR I l Sigma 150 2.8 Bugma l 50 1.8 l 28 2.8 l SB-800 l Manfrotto 055XBPro and Ball Head

Some people see things
and say
WHY?
I look at things
and Say
Why NOT?
iflynething is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: