Gary Fong "Puffer" pop-up flash diffuser
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 828
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Gary Fong "Puffer" pop-up flash diffuser

Background: Have been wanting to get a flash for a while and just when I thought I had the money, my D50 took a dump. Got a D200 off the marketplace and don't yet have the money to invest in a flash.

So, when I saw this for $20, I had to try it. Initial thoughts are that I like what it does for the investment. However, just like I've read, it's not for large areas 'cos the flash is just not powerful enough; more, small to mid size and random close-up pics ... at least for me.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about it. It's of course not a replacement for a flash, but should I keep it or just save up for a flash and stop wasting money on fixes.

Give me whore! or give me death!
Nikon D200 with SB-D200 grip / Nikon D50 / Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / Nikon 55-200mm VR / Nikon 50mm f/1.4 / SB-600
That Guy 2-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2152373
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Gary Fong "Puffer" pop-up flash diffuser

I found it didn't make a huge difference. If you do get one make sure you take it apart after you use it because there cheaply made and the arms like to break. IMO I''d save your money and look at some DIY ones; I can get the same results from bubble wrap.
ChuckingFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Save the twenty bucks...

Save the twenty bucks and purchase a hotshoe flash. The 430EX series are great flashes but may be more than you want to pay. There are a lot of units on the market which are less expensive and will do a decent job...

A used 420EX is a great starter flash. I used mine for several years until I replaced it with a 550EX. I now use the 420EX as a slave and the 550EX as a master. You should be able to get a 420EX used for $100-$125. If you want to upgrade in the future, the 420EX can be used as a slave with eith the 550EX or 580EX (series) flashes.

The Yong Nuo flashes seem like they are getting a lot of good press lately. I haven't used them but the specs of the YN-467 or YN-468 seem pretty nice. These YN flashes run only around $75-$90 (USD)

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572

My opinion, stop wasting money and get a real flash...preferably one you can use off camera. The built in flash is simply too close to the plane of the lens and too weak to yield great results, regardless of what kind of modifier you put on it.

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

I agree buy a flash. I too have a D200. The pop-up flash is a handy thing, sort of like one of those compact spare tires on cars, great in an emergency but wouldn't expect to put many miles on it. I don't think I'd buy Canon brand flashes for your Nikon brand camera. The whiz-bang SB900 is an overpriced overrated bug riddled flash. Because of that, it's predecessor the SB800 did not come down in price on the used market much and its been discontinued. The next best bang for the buck Nikon flash is the still produced SB600.

There are 3rd party flash units out there. They may or may not suit your requirements.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No

Also being the owner of a D200, I can speak with conviction when I say that the pop-up flash has :
- Limited range
- Limited width
- Quality of the results is not often very pleasing (flat, lifeless)
- Because of it's location, causes the infamous red-eye in your subjects
- If using the macro function, often cannot light your subject due to lens or camera interference
- Consumes camera batteries reducing number of pictures on can take on a single charge

Peopls say you can diffuse that light by placing a tissue over the flash. It does not diffuse it, but it does make it work at higher power levels, draining your batter even faster.

The in camera pop-up flash has only ONE good thing on a Nikon camera... it can be used to control an off camera Nikon flash using Nikon's CLS.

Save up for a real flash like the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800 (if you can find one used) or the SB-900.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: