High capacity AA batteries for weddings
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default High capacity AA batteries for weddings

Can you recommend any high capacity batteries for flash?
Currently I use Energizer 2450maH. I heard that there are special batteries which recycle faster and last longer than my energizer batteries... I would need them for wedding photography.
Some people recommend Powerex Maha....
Has anybody used them? Is there a good battery on the market which outperforms all the other AA batteries?
Thanks,
Otto

haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: High capacity AA batteries for weddings

I use and would recommend PowerEx (Maha) 2700mah AA's. I have 16 that I keep in 2 Maha chargers until ready for use. I also have spare Kodak low discharge batteries (similar to Enelop) on hand. I prefer to use the 2700's, but having the Kodaks available because they don't discharge with age quickly as a regular rechargeable does.

I recently purchased a battery pack for my 580EX flash. I like it, so I'll be ordering a 2nd one to go with my other flash.
Old 05-18-2010   #3
KmH

CamelKarma:

I concur on using Powerex NiMH/Maha chargers.
Old 05-18-2010   #4
Dromedary

Thanks!
Ohenry, how do you attach the battery pack to the flash?
Old 05-18-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by haring View Post
Thanks!
Ohenry, how do you attach the battery pack to the flash?
On the side of your flash is a rubber cover. Beneath that cover is the port to plug in the battery pack. (Canon). I'm certain that Nikon is similar. There are cheaper ones than the one I linked to (Canon CP-E4 is much more expensive), but this is the one I bought because I know the dealer is very reputable and trustworthy having dealt with him before.
Old 05-18-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
On the side of your flash is a rubber cover. Beneath that cover is the port to plug in the battery pack. (Canon). I'm certain that Nikon is similar. There are cheaper ones than the one I linked to (Canon CP-E4 is much more expensive), but this is the one I bought because I know the dealer is very reputable and trustworthy having dealt with him before.
Nice find. Thanks for the link. It's been a while since I have gone to flash zebra.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #7
Dromedary

Thanks for all the advice!!!!
Old 05-30-2010   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

Eneloop's from sanyo. They are only 2000mah but they are far better than energizer. Energizer Lithiums are the best batteries out there, but they make horrible rechargables.
The Sanyo's are the best. Look up the ratings.
Sanyo Eneloop vs PowerEx Imedion. Performance is the difference - PhotoMalaysia Community

Now I am looking around trying to find more answers. Kinda intersting.
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #9
Photocamel Master

The Eneloops (and other derivatives) are great for when you're not using your batteries frequently or heavy loads, but they're going to pale in performance side by side with a 2700mah battery. The reason Eneloops are so highly regarded is that they hold their charge when not in use, unlike other rechargeable batteries. But under heavy and constant use such as a wedding, the fully charged higher capacity batteries are going to deliver more flashes than fully charged Eneloops.

The best rechargeable is dictated by how you use it. I have both. 16 high capacity batteries sitting in a charger under a trickle load, and 8 Eneloop style (I have Kodaks but the principle is the same)
Old 05-30-2010   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

Well, I have a set of the powerEx's but I don't remember if they are the 2700mahs. We used to sell them, but apparently Maha, is a pain in the rear to work with as a company. I will have to see if I can still order them. They also make an 8 battery charger, that charges individual batteries.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: