Amvona Dynatran Tripod and Ball Heads - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Amvona Dynatran Tripod and Ball Heads

Do these heads fit most tripods? I have a [cheap but sturdy] Maxell tripod that needs a new head, would a ATH H91 ball head fit my tripod base?
redivivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 116

It depends on the tripod. Alot of cheaper tripods don't have removeable heads. If your tripod head comes off, there should be either a 3/8" or 1/4" mounting screw on which a head would mount. The Amvona heads, as well as most other interchangeable heads, mount on a 3/8" screw. If your tripod has a 1/4" screw, you can get an adapter sleeve to change this to a 3/8" screw.
dougjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #13
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjgreen
It depends on the tripod. Alot of cheaper tripods don't have removeable heads. If your tripod head comes off, there should be either a 3/8" or 1/4" mounting screw on which a head would mount. The Amvona heads, as well as most other interchangeable heads, mount on a 3/8" screw. If your tripod has a 1/4" screw, you can get an adapter sleeve to change this to a 3/8" screw.
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread

There was only one 1/4" screw, but it just clamped the head onto the base. Here's a pic of the base:

There are no screws or holes on that cylinder piece. The head simply slipped over it and a screw was tightened to keep it from coming off.
redivivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #14
Alpaca

I have the exact same tripod... just missing the quick release plate, so replacing the plate or pan/tilt head would both be decent options... did you ever find a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redivivus View Post
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread

There was only one 1/4" screw, but it just clamped the head onto the base. Here's a pic of the base:

There are no screws or holes on that cylinder piece. The head simply slipped over it and a screw was tightened to keep it from coming off.
chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
I have an Amvona AT12-T that I purchased about a year ago. It is really heavy. I wouldn't like to shlepp it along on a long hike but it is very sturdy, adaptable, easily adjustable and won't budge in a strong wind. Seems very well made.
Cheers/Mike
You ain't kidding - this sucker is heavy!! I replaced the regular head with a Bogen 322RC2 head and now it's even heavier! I carried it once on a hike through the Hocking Hills (Southeast Ohio) and it nearly killed me. I keep it around and still use it in the studio, but I don't travel with it any longer.

I now use my older Slik Sprint Pro with the 322RC2 head on it as my "hiking" tripod. It's lighter, smaller and easier to lug around than the Dynatran.

Bob S.

Sigma: 500/4.5 || Tokina: 17|100-300
/4
rshunk is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: