PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Camel Meetups (https://photocamel.com/forum/camel-meetups/)
-   -   Banff / Jasper this summer (https://photocamel.com/forum/camel-meetups/96607-banff-jasper-summer.html)

CanadianRocky 01-01-2010 11:47 PM

Banff / Jasper this summer

To all Photo-Camels,

I would like to organize a gathering of photographers this summer in the Banff / Jasper area.

My basic idea is that we all meet over a long weekend using one of the campgrounds as a base.

I will bring up my RV and we can use that as command central. I would have my computer on board, my printer and other odds and sods.

If we choose the campground up at the Columbia Ice Fields, then we would be half way between Banff and Jasper so if someone wanted to stay in a hotel/motel in Banff or Jasper, then they will only be about an hour and a quarter away from the main group.

Also, there is fabulous hiking very close to the Ice Fields and accessible.

So how about Thursday, July 29th to Tuesday August 3rd for a target date?

The dates can be changed to accommodate if needed and also the location.

This thread is for all ideas and every one is welcome.

Rocky

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been pinned (sticky) so that more members will have a chance to see Rocky's effort to organize a group shoot in a great environment. I spent a few years working in Western Canada- it is a photographers dream location. Good luck Rocky!

Ed

ohenry 01-02-2010 01:22 AM

Re: Banff / Jasper this summer

How far is Banff from the Vancouver area?

Marc Pavan 01-02-2010 01:23 AM

I lived in Lake Louise for 5 years. I am off from July 29 to Aug1. Most definetly interested!

Marc Pavan 01-02-2010 01:25 AM

Banff is a solid 8 hours from Vancouver. You may consider flying to calgary. It would only be a one hour drive to Banff from there.

ohenry 01-02-2010 01:26 AM

yeah....Vancouver is at least 8 hours from me, then another 8. A lot of driving.

CanadianRocky 01-02-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohenry (Post 909605)
yeah....Vancouver is at least 8 hours from me, then another 8. A lot of driving.

Carl, the quickest way for you would be to go via Spokane, then through Cranbrook (my hometown) then up to Banff.

Spokane to Banff would be about 7 hours.

About 600 miles from Medford to Spokane.

ohenry 01-02-2010 09:40 AM

Still over 900 miles of drive, most of it not Interstate. Not an overnighter. AlaskaAir frequent flyer miles perhaps :)

Mr. Pickles 01-02-2010 10:18 AM

Sounds like a great little weekender with a lot of photo opportunities and such.

CanadianRocky 01-02-2010 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles (Post 909778)
Sounds like a great little weekender with a lot of photo opportunities and such.

I try and get up to the parks every year for a week or two. This was one of my neighbours last year in the campground just outside of the town site of Jasper.

Here is an interesting article on "Town Elk" in Banff.

Parks Canada - Action on the Ground - Ecological Integrity in Canada's National Parks

CanadianRocky 01-02-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky (Post 909572)

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been pinned (sticky) so that more members will have a chance to see Rocky's effort to organize a group shoot in a great environment. I spent a few years working in Western Canada- it is a photographers dream location. Good luck Rocky!

Ed

Thanks Ed, I really hope to see you there if you can make it. Maybe you can even give us a fireside chat about something photographic. :afro: