The Great Ithaca Falls PhotoCamel Meetup - SHARE HERE!!! - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007   #31
Llama

CamelKarma: 2256
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Great Ithaca Falls PhotoCamel Meetup - SHARE HERE!!!

Buttermilk Falls area. Not as good as John's or Jays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_13960001_1.JPG (144.1 KB, 135 views)
regandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #32
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by regandon View Post
Excellent shot at that angle John.
Thanks Don. And Thanks to Jay for letting me use his 580 II in a pinch. It wouldn't have been the same without the subtle fill in the right side.
Old 10-15-2007   #33
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 272
Editing OK?: Ask First

Jay - thanks for the explanation re: printing. That helps me understand a lot more - I basically knew printing requires much more finesse but did not consider that when I commented

Scott, I appreciate your explanation of time spent PP - as a total newbie to PP, it helps me to know what is involved. I guess 40 minutes intimidated me

John, I guess I misunderstood the "Friendly Forums on the Camel". I was under the impression that one could ask questions and express their opinion.

I am very sorry that I am responsible for you withholding your expertise in the future. One of the things that has really helped my learning curve is when others share the details.

And I am sorry I did not consider the print aspect as I mentioned above.

Having been reprimanded, I will limit my comments to the laudatory realm. (At least for your posts)

And thanks for pointing out "dynamic range" - now I know why I bought a ND grad and read Galen Rowell - maybe when I do some landscapes, I will get a chance to use it more.

Looks like the meeting was a big success - sorry I might have dampened the feedback aspect.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #34
Camel Breath

Quote:
now I know why I bought a ND grad
These work well, when the scene fits, but don't let the filter dictate your composition. In other words, an NDG would not have helped you with this particular scene. I'll have more to post as I finish them that use both NDG and ND filters stacked for very long exposures. And, FYI, the first image I posted used a Hitech 1.2 ND filter, that's how I got the 2 second exposures.
Old 10-15-2007   #35
Llama

B&W of fishermen at Ithaca Falls. Still have to learn how to down size for the web. The photo looks way better at original size and sharper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing at Ithaca0001.JPG (114.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-15-2007   #36
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Quote:
John, I guess I misunderstood the "Friendly Forums on the Camel". I was under the impression that one could ask questions and express their opinion.
I think your wording in your original comment could have been much better. It certainly came across a bit obnoxious and condescending to me, but that doesn't mean you meant it that way by any means. Forums are tuff in that regard and everybody here is friendly and willing to share.

Some people are masters of photography and choose to shoot at the right time of day with combinations of filters. That will get you a great result right off the camera as I'm sure we have all done a few times In lighting conditions like we were faced with (broad daylight and white water) you have no choice other than HDR/ masking, in combination with Filters. Thats just the way it is. If however you could mold a ND filter to a specific shape for each composition you could then most likely get a 1 click shot in these conditions. I'm not aware of those though

Great shot Don! Love the BW and it looks great. I liked on your LCD screen, but the PC really does it justice

John, The composition where you used the flash is really cool! A nice half and half sorta feel that with a V that pulls the eye right in

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #37
Camel Breath

Quote:
If however you could mold a ND filter to a specific shape for each composition you could then most likely get a 1 click shot in these conditions. I'm not aware of those though
I would love to see a product that would allow you to "draw" a mask right on the filter, to allow you to define where the density will occur. It would probably cost a lot though!
Old 10-15-2007   #38
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by regandon View Post
B&W of fishermen at Ithaca Falls. Still have to learn how to down size for the web. The photo looks way better at original size and sharper.
Don, have you taken a look at this: http://photocamel.com/forum/image-ed...s-images.html? From around Fig. 7 on, I detail the resize methods and use of a sharpening script to clean it up for the web. I don't like to spend too much time on this, as web presentation is really just a secondary consideration, but this process is fairly quick and reliable for all types of images.
Old 10-15-2007   #39
Llama

Thanks John.
Old 10-15-2007   #40
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 272
Editing OK?: Ask First

Jay - thanks for the input - sorry I came across that way - not my intention - damn, I don't know enough to be condescending

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups »

Share this topic: