The Great Ithaca Falls PhotoCamel Meetup - SHARE HERE!!! - Page 20
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007   #191
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Great Ithaca Falls PhotoCamel Meetup - SHARE HERE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
This guy had a nice rainbow on when I took this last picture:

What the?? Rainbow?

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #192
Camel Breath

I worked on this 1 for a decent amount of time At first I didn't care for the comp, but after a week or 2 it finally grew on me enough to post

I did some HDR from 3 images first, then some hard core BW conversions with selective use of Highpass filters to get some extra pop.

Thoughts on the processing would be greatly appreciated

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 11-04-2007   #193
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
What the?? Rainbow?
Rainbow trout? The fish? He is a crop from the right side of the pic above.
Old 11-04-2007   #194
Camel Breath

ah ha Fish talk gets me every time. Now I see the fish!

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 11-04-2007   #195
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
I worked on this 1 for a decent amount of time At first I didn't care for the comp, but after a week or 2 it finally grew on me enough to post

I did some HDR from 3 images first, then some hard core BW conversions with selective use of Highpass filters to get some extra pop.

Thoughts on the processing would be greatly appreciated

Jay
Jay I LOVE THIS IMAGE! Very awesome!!!!

... hobbyist Canon shooting sahm....

... comments and critiques always welcomed...
Old 11-15-2007   #196
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14
Editing OK?: Ask First

WOW guys!!! I enjoyed reading and looking through this thread. I have been to these falls before so I am familiar with them and enjoyed seeing some perspectives that I haven't ever seen. I don't do any HDR processing myself. Most of what I have seen I didn't like but there are some beautifully done examples in here and it makes me want to explore that some more. If I remember right when I was at Ithaca falls there was full sun and it was shining directly on the falls making it impossible for a decent photo. The whites in the water where literally blinding to the naked eye and the shadows where very harsh and dark. If that was the conditions when you where there I am very impressed with what you came up with!

I still like to get it in one exposure if I can though, to save processing time, (who wouldn't though), but certain situations you just can't get it in one exposure. I also think if you can get it in one exposure you will come out with the best looking photo especially when your looking at them and comparing them at full size. Still that takes nothing away from the excellent examples of HDR processing in here. I am going to give HDR a shot and see what I can come up with, who knows....I might change my mind about the one exposure being the best...

One tip I could pass along to anyone reading this, as you look in here and see a few photos where one exposure was used you will see the composition leaves out the sky. Thats one way to reduce the dynamic range in the scene and is normally how I shoot them. If you have a scene with even light then one exposure should be enough. I am looking forward to the day when the cameras will expand that dynamic range even more!

NY state has so many great waterfalls. You guys could pick Watkins Glen, Filmore Glen, Enfield Glen, Stony Brook or possibly Letchworth state park for future get togethers. Of all the places I have been to see and photograph waterfalls NY state has the most density. You can see so many in a short time there without having to hike or drive for miles and miles.

I have a gallery from a trip this last June. We spent about four days photographing waterfalls. I also got to meet a couple photographers I know along the way and it was a great time!
Waterfalls of the Finger Lake region in New York Photo Gallery by Michael Shake at pbase.com

Thanks for sharing this post, I really enjoyed it!

Michael Shake
Waterfall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #197
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17

Sorry Guys,

I have fallen off the earth for the last month or more. Work has gotten Crazy and I have been spending a lot of time working on selling ads, and taking pictures. I need to get a grip on my workflow I just went out and bought a tablet so I could do better touch ups. I will try and post some of my pictures this weekend. I am home for 6 days with not much to do.
Old 11-20-2007   #198
Camel Breath

Spend time with your family, then get some pictures up! Glad to hear from you!
Old 02-20-2008   #199
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Hey folks. I'm new here. I'm from the upstate NY area and I actually run a photography website centered on waterfalls, lakes and other natural settings in upstate NY.
The site is nyfalls.com... A lot of my photography is based on some HDR or photostacking techniques. I don't claim to be a pro, but I think I take some nice shots considering the poor equipment I have.
I built the site to help us upstaters find new locations to shoot. I put together a map of all the waterfalls (I know of) and I'm working on adding descriptions and photos for each.
So if you need to find some new locations, want to meet up with waterfall enthusiasts (through our community section), or want to learn some photoshop techniques (plenty of tutorials in our articles section), stop by or ask me directly.
nyfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #200
Camel Breath

Nice to see you. I've been to your site, and there's great stuff there. Welcome aboard.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups »

Share this topic: