Any Photo Walks planed in Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1172121
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Any Photo Walks planed in Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area)

Hello all,

I live in Pinellas County in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and was wondering if there are any Photo Walks planned for this area in the near future.

I've never done a "photo walk" and I really don't like going out alone... no fun in that.

Just let me know.

Thanks!

See more photos taken by Liltiger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/
Liltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Any Photo Walks planed in Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area)

There is something brewing, I know a couple of out of staters are planning on coming down our way.

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158
Editing OK?: Ask First

Have you checked to see if there are any photo clubs around you that do such things :
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #4
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
There is something brewing, I know a couple of out of staters are planning on coming down our way.
Thanks for replying, Mira... I replied to your private message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf66 View Post
Have you checked to see if there are any photo clubs around you that do such things :
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I really don't have much free time to dedicate to joining a club... no matter how much I would really love to do that.

Old 03-19-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690
Editing OK?: Yes

Don't know if your into landscape photography, but I've been wanting to get back out to the Hillsborough River Sate Park and take some shots around the rapids now that the river should be lower.

Here's one example:

Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #6
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
Don't know if your into landscape photography, but I've been wanting to get back out to the Hillsborough River Sate Park and take some shots around the rapids now that the river should be lower.

Here's one example:
Ooooh!!! That is stunning... I've never really dabbled in landscape photography (other than simple sunsets...I'm still an extreme novice), but I would love to give it a try!!! If I could create something half as stunning as your example, I'd be a happy woman!!!

My availability is only on weekends... we'd have to find a weekend where we (and anyone else who wants to go) have nothing planned.

Old 03-20-2013   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
Ooooh!!! That is stunning... I've never really dabbled in landscape photography (other than simple sunsets...I'm still an extreme novice), but I would love to give it a try!!! If I could create something half as stunning as your example, I'd be a happy woman!!!

My availability is only on weekends... we'd have to find a weekend where we (and anyone else who wants to go) have nothing planned.
I'm also only available to go out on a weekend - Saturdays. Best time to go, is right when the park opens (less people, and morning light).

If you'd like to do this one Saturday coming up, let me know and I'll make plans to go. We could meet at the front gate when the park opens, and head over to the rapids.

So, do you have a tripod?, cable or remote release?, neutral density filter?

What lenses do you have?

I've always had a good time going to the park and photographing the rapids, and want to go back within the next several weeks.

Erich
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Old 03-20-2013   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
I'm also only available to go out on a weekend - Saturdays. Best time to go, is right when the park opens (less people, and morning light).

If you'd like to do this one Saturday coming up, let me know and I'll make plans to go. We could meet at the front gate when the park opens, and head over to the rapids.

What lenses do you have?

I've always had a good time going to the park and photographing the rapids, and want to go back within the next several weeks.

Erich
Let me see if I have anything going on this Saturday and I'll let you know as soon as I can.

As for equipment, I do have a tripod, however, I do not have any cable or remote release... I usually just use my timer. I also don't have an ND filter... I'll have to check my bag, but I'm almost positive that I don't have one. I have UV, Polarizers, star filters, flourescent filter... but I don't think I have an ND. I didn't want to spend the $$ on something until I was sure I would use it since all the filters worth anything are pretty pricy. All I have is two circular polarizers (with one flipped) to create a DIY ND filter which really doesn't do the best job when the sun is bright... I get the cross-hairs shadow on the image when the sun is super bright. I'll check tonight when I get home, but I'm thinking that I don't have one.

If this poses a problem, please let me know... I won't be one bit offended... I know what it's like when trying accomplish something with someone who isn't quite ready.

As I've stated... I'm an extreme novice. I'm trying my best to learn as much as I can without any formal instruction, so I won't take issue if you would prefer to do an outing with someone more experienced and who is equipped with the necessary items.

I have 3 lenses... my kit lens (EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II) which came with my T3i, a small zoom lens (EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II) and a macro lens (EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM).

I realize that I will need an ND filter to do extended shutter, however, in my area near Seminole, there are no camera stores anymore and I don't recall seeing one for sale at Best Buy. Any suggestions on an inexpensive one I can get ... and, if so, which one is the best to start... I know they have different tints 1-10 and I have no idea which one I would need - another reason I never got one.

If you can give me some idea of which level ND filter I need, I can check Best Buy after work today. I looked on the Best Buy website for my zip code and they claim to have an ND4 for sale, but I don't remember seeing any at the store... but I can check... is ND4 what I need?

Old 03-20-2013   #9
Guanaco

Quote:

What lenses do you have?

Erich
Oh my!! I just mapquested the park from my home and it's over an hour's drive. You must live much closer than I do.

It may be too far to drive depending on what time the park opens if that's when you want to arrive.

Please let me know.

Old 03-20-2013   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
Oh my!! I just mapquested the park from my home and it's over an hour's drive. You must live much closer than I do.

It may be too far to drive depending on what time the park opens if that's when you want to arrive.

Please let me know.
It's about an hour from my house as well. Part of taking good photographs is getting to a location when you will have the best light. The park opens at 8:00 AM, and the sun is already fairly high by then.

Going to the park, is just an offer. No obligation on your part if you feel that's too far for you to drive. No worries.

Erich

Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
This is the Internet and sometimes you just have to put your big boy pants on.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups »

Share this topic: