Any Photo Walks planed in Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area) - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1172121
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Any Photo Walks planed in Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
It's about an hour from my house as well. Part of taking good photographs is getting to a location when you will have the best light. The park opens at 8:00 AM, and the sun is already fairly high by then.

Going to the park, is just an offer. No obligation on your part if you feel that's too far for you to drive. No worries.

Erich
I have to say, you do have me intrigued to go, however, that would mean I would have to be on the road by 6:30.

I'm still intrigued... although I may have to wait a few weeks before going. I'm really slammed at my job and my sleep is something I really require when I can get it.

What are the conditions in the summer? I work fewer hours in the summer and that may be a better time for me. Although, I'm sure the sun is higher by 8:00am in the summer...

Your thoughts?

See more photos taken by Liltiger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/
Liltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
I have to say, you do have me intrigued to go, however, that would mean I would have to be on the road by 6:30.

I'm still intrigued... although I may have to wait a few weeks before going. I'm really slammed at my job and my sleep is something I really require when I can get it.

What are the conditions in the summer? I work fewer hours in the summer and that may be a better time for me. Although, I'm sure the sun is higher by 8:00am in the summer...

Your thoughts?
Sometimes you have to make some sacrifices to get the best shots. But, I can certainly appreciate the value of getting sleep when you need. It's just a matter of what your main priority is at the moment.

The park may open an hour earlier in the Summer, but I can't remember for sure?

Take a look at this photographers galleries of photographs. I'm willing to bet he got up quite early in order to be at his locations for the light he wanted to capture in his photos - Image Galleries : Marc Adamus Photography

If you decide you'd like to try sometime, you can let me know.

Erich
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #13
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
Sometimes you have to make some sacrifices to get the best shots. But, I can certainly appreciate the value of getting sleep when you need. It's just a matter of what your main priority is at the moment.

The park may open an hour earlier in the Summer, but I can't remember for sure?

Take a look at this photographers galleries of photographs. I'm willing to bet he got up quite early in order to be at his locations for the light he wanted to capture in his photos - Image Galleries : Marc Adamus Photography

If you decide you'd like to try sometime, you can let me know.

Erich
I truly appreciate your understanding and I completely understand what you're saying about having to sacrifice to get the best quality photo... and I completely agree.

Maybe in the next couple of weeks or so, I'll be able to go. I really do want to get out there... I saw a few of your shots and you're very good, and I'd be a fool not to try to learn a thing or two from you.

I'll keep you posted and, again, thanks for understanding and not giving up on me.

I looked at some of the photos in the link you supplied and all I can say is WOW. They're stunning! Alaska sure is gorgeous and I've always wanted to see the Arora Borealis. It's on my bucket list... although I'm sure it will be a long time before I get there. In the meanwhile, I'll have to settle for photographing tropical Florida.

I am curious... as far as an ND filter is concerned, I think that Best Buy (if they have any) carries the 4, which I've read reveiws on and the reviews are hit and miss. Where would I go to get a decent ND filter for a reasonable cost and what level would be a good general purpose level? OR do you feel that the ND4 is what I would need?

Also, why is morning light better than evening light?... just something I've always wondered. Is it something about the intensity?

And, please let me know if I'm asking too many questions... I ask a lot of questions of anyone who will let me.

Old 03-21-2013   #14
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
I am curious... as far as an ND filter is concerned, I think that Best Buy (if they have any) carries the 4, which I've read reveiws on and the reviews are hit and miss. Where would I go to get a decent ND filter for a reasonable cost and what level would be a good general purpose level? OR do you feel that the ND4 is what I would need?

Also, why is morning light better than evening light?... just something I've always wondered. Is it something about the intensity?
1. I get my filters from 2filter.com - Camera Filters, Sales Tax Free, 2filter.com, camera filters for digital cameras, 4x4 camera filter holders for HD DSLR, B+W 77 mm XS Pro Nano filters, B+W 77mm MrC on sale, Tiffen VND Variable ND, Hitech Multistop Vari ND Filters,deals on MPTV camera I have both Tiffen, and B+W filters. IMHO, if I were to only get one ND filter I'ge get the ND 0.9 which is a three stop filter. Here's a nice article - Using Neutral Density Filters

2. Now this is only my opinion, but I don't see that morning light is better than evening light. It just depends on how you want to use the light to enhance the photo (e.g. light directions from how you want to compose the scene.

Article on twilight -

Another good article - http://www.redbubble.com/people/pete...ensity-filters

And, I don't mind trying to answer questions as that's one aspect of how you learn. One very nice thing about this forum are that there are plenty of very talented photographers, and I've no problems sending a PM with a question.

So, you have an open invitation to get out one Saturday morning for a little photography excursion.

Erich
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Old 03-23-2013   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Hi Erich and Liltiger,

I've been to the Hillsborough River rapids in the morning and in the late afternoon. Morning light is better by far. In the afternoon or evening the light is almost directly behind you. In the morning there's some nice side and back lighting.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #16
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Hi Erich and Liltiger,

I've been to the Hillsborough River rapids in the morning and in the late afternoon. Morning light is better by far. In the afternoon or evening the light is almost directly behind you. In the morning there's some nice side and back lighting.
Thanks Brooks. That was my exerience as well, plus many more kids in the later part of the day

Old 03-30-2013   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

@ Liltiger
I live in Pinellas County and would not mind some company. I like going to Lake Seminole Park and walking the trails looking for thing to shoot. I have a pretty open schedule most of the time sometimes i can get a bit busy. I am new to photography and just got my dslr about a month ago. I do not have any fancy gear just my camera and the kit 18-55 and 55-200. I also like going to downtown St.Pete but anywhere is fine as long as i have my camera.
TChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #18
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChilds View Post
@ Liltiger
I live in Pinellas County and would not mind some company. I like going to Lake Seminole Park and walking the trails looking for thing to shoot. I have a pretty open schedule most of the time sometimes i can get a bit busy. I am new to photography and just got my dslr about a month ago. I do not have any fancy gear just my camera and the kit 18-55 and 55-200. I also like going to downtown St.Pete but anywhere is fine as long as i have my camera.
That's wonderful. I don't have a lot of free time until the summer, but every now and then I can get out on a Saturday.

I'll let you know when I have some free time. It should be fun.

I've been at it not quite a year now, and I don't have any fancy equipment either... we can learn from each other... or, at the very least, keep each other company.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups »

Share this topic: