Camels In the Rocky Mtns
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 249974
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Camels In the Rocky Mtns

Ok, ok.... last year was a wash out.

I had my reasons ( excuses )

But, this year, it is happening.

First full weekend in August. 5, 6, & 7

Jasper Alberta, Canada

Whistlers campsite will be our headquarters. Reservations are recommended for anything larger than a tent.

First day we will take the Gondola to the top of Whistlers peak and shoot the high country.
Google Maps

Second day we will hike up above Maligne Lake and, again, shoot the high country. Bring a telephoto, we will be in Grizzly country
Google Maps

Third day we will hike up above the Columbia Ice fields viewing center and, once again, shoot the high country. This image shows it is snowed in, but that is a winter picture. During the summer it is a high alpine area covered with grasses and possibly flowers.
Google Maps

Recomended Gear

• A hydration back pack
  • Good hiking shoes or boots, something broken in
  • Rain jacket and pants. It can snow up at these altitudes any day of the year. So a good sweater is also advisable. Also, gloves and a toque.
  • Snacking food for lunch
  • Small first aid kit, etc.

These are comfortable day hikes on established trails that require no technical climbing or scrambling to enjoy them. Although, that is available if you so wish on each day.

They will be early starts to catch the light and we can stay up all day so we can catch the evening light also.

Campfires at night with the swapping of tall tales.

My Website

My blog
All my images are anadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 56340
Default Re: Camels In the Rocky Mtns

Ignore my earlier post! I am interested!
mgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroen View Post
Ignore my earlier post! I am interested!
Cool. I picked three places I have already been in Jasper. All three are great day hikes that are not taxing and will require just good walking ability.

All three have about a 3/4 hour hike up a moderate grade to get to the high alpine areas. Top of the Wistlers can be very busy, but once you get to the "top" you find that there are more tops and a great day hike around a ridge.

The hike above Malagne lake is not all that great for the first hour, as it is a road, but once you get into the high alpine it turns into an amazing place. There are some great ridge walks up there.

The hike at the Columbia Ice Fields starts in a great forest and ends up in a valley. all the way up you can watch, with binoculars, people climbing Mt Athabasca. Up in the valley, there is a great scramble up a mountain. If that is not to your taste, then there is a nice walk to the edge of the valley where you can see the Ice Fields.

The campground at Whistlers is an excellent base camp. It has showers and firewood and always has space for tents, although if you want hook ups for a camper/motor-home I would suggest reservations.

• Some suggestions for those that have not spent time at elevation.

Jasper has all the gear you will need, from food to hiking equipment. I just strongly suggest you bring broken in foot wear.

I have been up all three in "weather" and you need to be prepared for the high alpine with appropriate clothes, food and water.

As far as camera gear, a telephoto lens and tripod are almost mandatory. I would also suggest a good pair of binoculars.

I will probably bring up my RV and we can use it as base camp. If I bring it, I will have my computer and printer.

If you have questions, or suggestions, please post them.

My Website

My blog
Old 01-02-2011   #4
Vicuna

No problem...love doing scrambles! I was in Jasper last summer doing Mt Robson. I am based out of Sylvan Lake. I would also be interested in doing Louise again if people are interested. Haven't spent much time there in years so it would be nice to go back.
Old 01-02-2011   #5
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroen View Post
No problem...love doing scrambles! I was in Jasper last summer doing Mt Robson. I am based out of Sylvan Lake. I would also be interested in doing Louise again if people are interested. Haven't spent much time there in years so it would be nice to go back.
Nice. I kept the itinerary to three days across a long weekend for most. Also, to keep the hikes to something most can handle to try and get more to join in.

I will be in the parks for two weeks in August so it is possible to do much more.

Did you get to the top at Mt Robson?

My Website

My blog
Old 01-02-2011   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Llama

CamelKarma: 581

Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it, or don't already have plans happening then.

Would tripods be advisable on a trip like this?

Makers Of My Tools:

Canon - Sigma - Manfrotto - Sandisk - Adobe

My Photos are Here:
Flickr
Lazerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 95123

Sounds really interesting. I've given up camping so are there accommodations that would be drivable? I know that there are plenty of hotels (IE GREAT hotels) in Jasper and so would be it be doable to drive to the outings from there?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evensky/
capshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #8
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it, or don't already have plans happening then.

Would tripods be advisable on a trip like this?
Yes. We will be in Grizzly, big horn sheep, elk and moose country. You will need a telephoto and a tripod. I have two and take my lightweight one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capshook View Post
Sounds really interesting. I've given up camping so are there accommodations that would be drivable? I know that there are plenty of hotels (IE GREAT hotels) in Jasper and so would be it be doable to drive to the outings from there?
Yes, there are many motels right downtown Jasper. The campsite is only 5 minutes from downtown. You will need to reserve a place and I would do it early. Jasper fills up quickly in the summer.

My Website

My blog
Old 01-02-2011   #9
Vicuna

Not to the "top". Stopped just before Berg lake (emporer falls .5 km away) since it was just a day hike. We stayed at Whisler...great little spot.

For those not into hiking that far, Angel Glacier is a quick jaunt over with a small walk. Really great for morning pictures when the sun peeks over the ridge to light the glacier.

Mitch
Old 01-02-2011   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by capshook View Post
Capshook: There are great little cabins just across from Whisler but they book up real fast if you're interested.

Any scuba divers out there?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Camel Meetups »

Share this topic: