On becoming a working photographer - Page 6
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013   #51
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: On becoming a working photographer

Are you serious! I want to take her vitamins!
Old 06-01-2014   #52
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 199747
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks for this. Very helpful at this point. I'll keep in mind to email you with questions. Best of luck to you.

Barry
barry6386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #53
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2683
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thank you, Barry. Bear in mind that the article is quite old at this point. Much of it is still applicable, but the world has changed considerably, as you know. I will try to answer any questions you have.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #54
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 26668

Howdy Camels

I began my photography business in March & have found this biz is more about business than photography!

I began asking friends to pose for my portfolio in return for the digital images. As I began posting them, other friends asked how much I charge. I begin with, "I normally charge...but I would be glad to do it for you for..." The amount I would charge them was a friend rate and would guarantee the job as it would be less than a professional would do it for. I do this for the publicity, more pictures to show, and the experience and feel I am quickly growing into the experience and the pay rate I would like to be at.

To attract more customers, I am going to use holidays and seasons. My thought is to publish a flyer on the social networks to advertise upcoming specials, the first being school portraits.

I live in a rural community and would like to hold a portrait session in a more central location. I was thinking of having it on four dates, and customers can book a time, on one of the four dates, and pay right on my website. This way I can charge an affordable fee and not have to drive to a location per customer.

My question is: What location would you choose? My first thought is to meet at a park, but afraid I may be confronted and that would be BAD, really BAD.

Any other advice on how to hold this type of special is appreciated thanks...
bloobirdiesimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #55
Guanaco

A central location is a great idea. Everyone comes to you. Simple and easy. Having them pay in advance is an EXCELLENT idea, as people who have not paid in advance may not show up. I was curious as to what you thought was going to confront you in the park! Bears? Hipsters? Over-zealous police? Seriously, though, a park is a great location provided you have good weather. An indoor location might give you a place where you can shoot regardless of the weather, and regardless of the time of day. Natural light shooting is wonderful, but a bit harder to control, so I find that the shoot takes a bit more time for each client. It really depends on what kind of portraits you are doing for people. Other ideas for shoot locations could be a school gym, a local dance studio,or actors rehearsal space that has an opening during the week. You may be able to book a space like that on an hourly basis. You're lucky in some ways to be in a rural area. Less competition, and, if people like the pictures, and like the experience they have working with you, you will get asked to shoot other things for them, like events. Also, local school sports, team portraits, etc. I hope this helps somewhat. I'll keep thinking about it in the meantime.
Old 02-25-2016   #56
Alpaca

Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

It is very difficult to become a full-time professional photographer, the barrier to entry has never been lower with easier to use cameras and website templates. However, growing and sustaining a business is difficult. I have created an infographic that goes over some of the steps, which you may find useful.

How to become a professional photographer infographic

Any feedback on the graphic from other pro's out there would be welcome. Please just bear in mind that I am not saying that I am a business guru or a massively successful photographer.

Hopefully this can speed up your journey.
Old 12-07-2016   #57
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask First

Appreciate your details article.Really, love this great stuff.
Pedro Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #58
Guanaco

Thank you. Please bear in mind that the article was written quite a few years ago now, and, while some of the more basic information is still relevant, many things about the business have changed radically. Take what you can from it. I am open to taking questions from people if there are any.
Old 12-09-2016   #59
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893

Great topic. Thanks Lorenzo for getting it started.

Enjoying the sea and sun in Miami

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: