On becoming a working photographer - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010   #21
JPO
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: On becoming a working photographer

Very enjoyable personal story, thanks for sharing your experience; I'm appreciative when others in the field are willing to help out people who might not know as much and are just looking to learn whatever they can about the industry. I'm one of those people. Problem is, it seemed very easy for you to get a job as a photographer's assistant - I'd walk thru lava to do anything photo-related, and for $150 a day? I would literally walk thru lava. I have a degree in the field, a website, professional references and everything but I have no idea how to get a job as a photographer's assistant; I know its not the intent of your article to elucidate that process, but if there's anything you could add about just getting an assistant job, I'd love to hear it.

Again, thanks a bunch.
JPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

great article which contains plenty of food for thought, thanks a lot for sharing
CraigSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #23
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2683

JPO, Where are you located? Where an I see your work? I would be happy to speak with you further about getting assisting work. Your profile on Photocamel is extremely limited which makes it hard to find you and your work. Feel free to get in touch if you wish.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19459
Editing OK?: Ask First

Lorenzo, Thanks for that informative article. You have one of the best photographer web sites I've seen. Who created your web site for you?

Michael
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #25
Guanaco

You're very kind, thank you, Michael! I bought one of the template from http://www.bludomain.com and then spent a fair amount of time customizing it. They have many different templates to choose from, and many different configurations. They range from about $200.00 to $400.00, and I think that they would probably build something custom for you for more money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
Lorenzo, Thanks for that informative article. You have one of the best photographer web sites I've seen. Who created your web site for you?

Michael
Old 02-23-2010   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19459
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevilaquafoto View Post
You're very kind, thank you, Michael! I bought one of the template from http://www.bludomain.com and then spent a fair amount of time customizing it. They have many different templates to choose from, and many different configurations. They range from about $200.00 to $400.00, and I think that they would probably build something custom for you for more money.
Thank you, Lorenzo. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #27
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 6133

This is precious for people like me that are trying to work as a pro in such a difficult world.
I find the "promo cards approach" interesting.

Thanks for your help and congrats for your amazing job.
Member of: AGWPJA, WPPI, ANFM, TAU Visual.

Flickr photostream: www.flickr.com/photos/lookingforplaces
Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #28
Guanaco

Thank you, Lindros! The article WAS written quite a while ago, but I think it does still have something to offer. Specifically, I think that the idea of printed promo cards may be changing in favor of email blasts and website promotion, but everyone does something different. I think that if you lined up 20 different photographers working in different markets, you would find that they all have different methods of promotion that work for them. The bottom line is that you have to be seen in order to get work. Period. How that happens is up to you, and oftentimes decided through a trial-and-error exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros View Post
This is precious for people like me that are trying to work as a pro in such a difficult world.
I find the "promo cards approach" interesting.

Thanks for your help and congrats for your amazing job.
Old 04-23-2010   #29
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1403
Editing OK?: No

Hi Lorenzo and congratulations to your article.
I read it with interest and found similar views to mine in it. In particular this > There are too many photographers out there who get caught in the trap of having to make a living as a photographer
Totaly agree and for me personaly I go even further in saying; To remember what inspired you to want to do photography badly enough in the first place? I can only think of one main Word; And that is PASSION" Money for me is only an added bonus. I can afford to think that way too because my livelyhood does not depend on it. Even if it did and I had to work harder to make it work for me in order to provide enough money every week, every year. I would do it because I love doing photography and my passion for it.
I do enjoy Wedding Photography and I am building my my side business towards specializing more and more in this field of work. It is my first year in this Business and I am making progress. One must realize that progress is a gradual thing and one should not rush it. If one does rush it, then it is more than likely Money driven anyway and has a potential to detract from the enjoyment of this experience. I like it to be an enjoyable experience every time. if I enjoy it then my clients will also enjoy the experience.
Everyone has their own directions in how fahr and how much they like to use their photography skills. Mine is more Weddings and spreading more and more to Portraits as I go. This allows me to focus more on one primary area of specialty and the rest follows on.
I see the passion in you from your article and you speak from the Heart. My admiration....
Kind regards" Rainer
rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #30
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 498
Editing OK?: Yes

Great Article. Thanks for taking the time to write it and post it here.

Todd

TCaron is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: