digital rights?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default digital rights?

So, the greatest thing about being a photographer is finding that some of the images you have posted online are now circulating through other websites that other users have downloaded without your permission.

I know there is a digital rights act that is supposed to stop the copyright infringement of online images, unless said otherwise. But, other then putting a watermark across my photo, how do I make sure that my really good images aren't used?

Old 01-24-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: digital rights?

Don't put them online.

Seriously. Once you post them, you lose control. Period.

You can make it more difficult by not uploading straight JPGs to sites like Flickr, etc., and using Flash for your portfolio galleries. You can also use Tineye to keep an eye out for them but it's not foolproof. And even if you find someone stealing them, what are you going to do to make them stop? Some image thief in Russia or China doesn't care about your "digital rights" or whatever. What enforcement power do you really have?

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: