HUGE undertaking and HUGE QUESTIONS!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14623
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default HUGE undertaking and HUGE QUESTIONS!

I recieved a call today from the local University requesting a price quote to have me come in and shoot all the students on campus + faculty and staff... they gave a rough estimate of 3000 people. (can I breath yet?) My question is... GOOD LORD... what does one chargee for something like that?? Ok... at a minimum one is going to take 2 shots per person to attempt to avoid blinks... so even that is 6000 shots... of course that is assuming that everyone actually is photographed... but they are looking for a quote for that number.

When I have shot for them before I have charged an hourly amount... and I charge high for our area at $50.00 an hour. ( I know some of you are saying oh you are way low, while some of you are saying wow I wish I could charge that much... darn demographics!) But thinking that way... good grief that could be over whelming in itself! Well for example... 3000 people at say 10 minutes per person... signing them in placing them and snapping 2 shots... that is 500 hours! To take that a step further... that is 62 1/2 ~ 8 hour days! So at an hourly rate that would be $3125.00 but shooting constantly a person every 10 minutes for 62 1/2 days?

Dacoda Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14623
Default Re: HUGE undertaking and HUGE QUESTIONS!

So... please tell me that at this late hour and the thought of this has got my computations totally outta wack!

Dacoda Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

checked your calculations: they are right .
Maybe another way of thinking would be: the job has to be done in a reasonable time, say 5 working days of 6 hours.
That means you need to process 3000/(5*6) = 100 students per hour.
Assuming 5 minutes per student working time you can process 60/5 =12 students.
to get the job done you need 100/12 = 9 assistants.
Old 07-25-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1049806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacoda Image View Post
I recieved a call today from the local University requesting a price quote to have me come in and shoot all the students on campus + faculty and staff... they gave a rough estimate of 3000 people. (can I breath yet?) My question is... GOOD LORD... what does one chargee for something like that?? Ok... at a minimum one is going to take 2 shots per person to attempt to avoid blinks... so even that is 6000 shots... of course that is assuming that everyone actually is photographed... but they are looking for a quote for that number.

When I have shot for them before I have charged an hourly amount... and I charge high for our area at $50.00 an hour. ( I know some of you are saying oh you are way low, while some of you are saying wow I wish I could charge that much... darn demographics!) But thinking that way... good grief that could be over whelming in itself! Well for example... 3000 people at say 10 minutes per person... signing them in placing them and snapping 2 shots... that is 500 hours! To take that a step further... that is 62 1/2 ~ 8 hour days! So at an hourly rate that would be $3125.00 but shooting constantly a person every 10 minutes for 62 1/2 days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
checked your calculations: they are right .
Maybe another way of thinking would be: the job has to be done in a reasonable time, say 5 working days of 6 hours.
That means you need to process 3000/(5*6) = 100 students per hour.
Assuming 5 minutes per student working time you can process 60/5 =12 students.
to get the job done you need 100/12 = 9 assistants.
Am I missing something here

A quick mental calculation $50 x 500 hrs = $25,000.00
... and $400 (8hr/day) x 62.5 days = $25,000.00

Where did $3125.00 come from.

'Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.'
Ansell Adams

My SmugMug Piccies
My PBase Snaps
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

you're right. Didn't check the paycheck only the amount of work.
Old 07-25-2008   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 203

so where do you live? and could you foot the bill for me to come from australia and give you a hand?

i'd like to get in on that
Old 07-25-2008   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208

I'm not good at math, but I am good at how much time it takes to photograph a person. Five minutes is WAAAAAAAY too long unless you are going to offer each one a cuppa coffee. It shouldn't take any more than 30 to 45 seconds from the time they sit down, are posed and captured. You will need someone to man the camera only, another to assist in the posing, several to assist them in filling out the forms, another to ACCURATELY record the image number after the capture and several more to give the above a restroom break now and then.

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1049806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
I'm not good at math, but I am good at how much time it takes to photograph a person. Five minutes is WAAAAAAAY too long unless you are going to offer each one a cuppa coffee. It shouldn't take any more than 30 to 45 seconds from the time they sit down, are posed and captured. You will need someone to man the camera only, another to assist in the posing, several to assist them in filling out the forms, another to ACCURATELY record the image number after the capture and several more to give the above a restroom break now and then.

Benji
And you just knocked his earnings down from $25,000 t0 $1,875 for photographing 3000 people!

Have a heart!

'Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.'
Ansell Adams

My SmugMug Piccies
My PBase Snaps
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I did 120 portraits in about 3 hours. You need at least two assistants, and you'll need to keep meticulous records. Preparation is key - I practiced the process with family members to find the gaps, so on game day everything went smoothly. I'll give you some hints: get a list of subjects, sort then alphabetically; print their names on 24up stickers, as each arrives, pull their sticker and place it on a new form where the image IDs are captured, both on the sticker and next to the sticker; shoot tethered to a laptop so you can verify the images; take small carb/water breaks frequently and load up on bananas the day before to prevent muscle cramps.
Old 07-25-2008   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 153
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Benji

I've done that for kids sports leagues where it was 10 minutes max per team for up to a 24 person team. It should be a lot easier with University students not to mention half of them may not even show up. The slowest part is the paper work and them asking questions about it so definitely have assistants to help with that.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: