Is Joining the PPA actually worth it? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 48
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

I am merely trying to establish that a wedding photographer has actually been successfully sued for damages arising from a wedding. To date (and this seven years after my own experience) I have found no evidence of a photographer having been successfully sued for damages after fulfilling the terms of his contract. Certain agencies perpetuate the myth that courts actually make a difference between an unsatisfactory auto paint job and an unsatisfactory wedding album, that any court makes a difference between one contractor who acts in good faith from another.

Giving in to threats of litigation merely puts all other photographers at risk of being threatened, as well as being brought to court when no case actually exists. It's like having a neighbor who feeds wild bears then wondering why there are grizzlies all over your property.

If it gives you peace of mind to feed the bears and then pay someone to make the bears stop growling, then go ahead, but it isn't doing you or your neighbors any good because the bears just keep coming back. The prominent agency that "insures" against these lawsuits are toothless toads who really do no one any real service in the long run. If the organization were to serve the photographic wedding community, we would hear more about PO'd brides being told "So go ahead and sue us. " In most cases, it would cost more money for the B&G to bring a lawsuit than it cost them to hire a photographer for their wedding in the first place.

I know nothing about the circumstances surrounding the unsatisfactory portrait, but the likelihood of the bride collecting damages from you is slim to none. The fact that you caved in and reshot the portrait for fear that the BBB would give you a negative listing is just like feeding the bears. The BBB is yet another organization that feeds off the fears of the insecure. Unless I myself thought that the images were bad, I would not make a move to appease anyone. I have dealt with the BBB myself twice. It can do very little to one's reputation, even if one engages in the idiotic complaint-and response exercises because anyone who takes the complaints seriously can see who complains and the bases for the complaints.

I am not calling anyone a liar here. I am merely trying to establish whether a B&G has ever collected damages from a photographer who has fulfilled the terms of his contract in good faith (no matter the outcome or lack thereof). Caving in to the BBB does little to make the bears go away, and allowing an organization to shuffle paper for you while you reshoot a portrait or a wedding merely invites the opportunistic B&G to regard booking a wedding photographer as little more than a chance to play Wheel of Fortune.
Bloo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #22
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Mark, save your breath.
I've asked the Corpus Christi Photographer to join the discussion and give his experience firsthand. Let's see what he has to say.

I've also asked the professional photographers from OurPPA.com to chime in, to give first hand experiences and knowledge of the subject.

The PPA Indemnification Trust was created to protect photographers engaged in lawsuits, because litigation happens...all the time. The danger is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo Dog View Post
I'd have turned around and sued the bejabers out of the B&G as well as two photographers who supplied erroneous information about me, as well as a photo lab which supplied untrue information (a conflict of interests on their part), AND the album supplier who (like the photo lab) released untrue information regarding the purchase of a custom-made album.
Let me get this straight....two other photographers encouraged the bride to sue you, the lab provided testimony in the B&G's behalf, and the album supplier deposed as well? You also had two scrapes with the BBB?
Yet you maintain that monetary damages are not awarded by court systems in photographer lawsuits?

Just as I said earlier, we should not underestimate a bride and groom's (or any client's) willingness to bring litigation. This is the most important day of their life. As a profession we have to take it seriously.

PPA's Indemnification Trust wasn't created just for the heck of it.
Old 10-01-2007   #23
Lubbock, Tx.

A quote from 2007 PPA Chairman of the Board, 2006 PPA President, Michael Taylor, borrowed from the PPA website:

"Folks for no other reason join PPA for the indemnification insurance. I could go on for a week about all the other benefits of joining PPA besides the insurance, but I don't want to bore you.

I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD NEED THE INSURANCE. I thought that it was for wedding photographers. Last year I got sued because a 16x20 portrait did not make it back for the Christmas deadline. Actually it came back, but the lab did not switch a head like they were supposed to. One of the family members was a Partner in a big law firm in downtown LA. The judgement againest came to $ 930,000. Primarily for "mental anguish." I was tardy in getting the PPA lawyers involved so I did have to cough up $4,000. If they hadn't come in to protect me I would have lost my business and maybe my home. Is there a better arguement for JOINING PPA?"

Michael Taylor
President-Elect, PPA

Read the direct post from Michael:
OurPPA.com Community
Old 10-01-2007   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 223
Editing OK?: Yes

scary stuff...but doesn't damage limit wording in the contract protect the photographer/studio?
flashmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #25
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 223
Editing OK?: Yes

another question about ppa - is the $323 an annual fee or a one time joining?
flashmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #26
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
The judgement againest came to $ 930,000. Primarily for "mental anguish."
WTF?
Old 10-01-2007   #27
Llama

CamelKarma: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmedic View Post
Is it that much? I thought I read a post somewhere here saying it was $99/year. I can't find the price on the site anywhere.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #28
Lubbock, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmedic View Post
Annual fee.
I think it's a huge bargain. That's a fraction of a monthly lab bill for me., and I couldn't find insurance coverage for anything close to that.
Old 10-01-2007   #29
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

What I seem to be hearing is that if you join, you get insurance. This leads me to ask this question:

How many full time professional photographers do NOT belong to PPA?

In Canada, last figures I heard were that less than 10% working pros are members of PPOC.....any comments?
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #30
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 238

I know that the insurance does not apply here in Cayman. But as an international member the annual fees are less. Fortunately we are not a litigious jurisdiction like the US so the need is not as pressing. If I was in the US I would consider the membership mandatory to doing business there. It is a very small price to pay. Like most insurance we consider it a waste of money.......Untill we need it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: