Is Joining the PPA actually worth it? - Page 20
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011   #191
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

SIMPLE ANSWER: YES!
it is worth it!

I don't care who loves it or hates it- that is not the point and also a bit silly. The organization is meant for PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS!
People who earn their likelihoods from their photography! Membership is a tremendous resource of artistic and business information with all kinds of opportunities and benefits.

You need to examine the programs and its advantages and decide whether this kind of organization is good for you and your business. What other people think is not important to me- You and I have to make theses decisions as a professionals and a businesspersons. Believe me- the dues will be a good investment with many returns in terms of your abilities as a photographer and you bottom line.

If I have to tell you, I agree with Mark! 100%

Regardless of my advice, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Good luck! Ed
Old 06-08-2011   #192
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriend View Post
I clicked on this thread because i was interested in the initial question, and though i would get an answer. (Same on me for thinking that)
I gave many advantages of why joining PPA is worth it.
And I know several photographers in your back yard who are members.
Old 06-13-2011   #193
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

How useful it will be will depend on what you shoot... They are VERY heavily geared towards Wedding and Portraits. Why? Because that's how most full time pros make a living.

I joined for the insurance. I've never been to one of their events, so I can't speak for those. I've found the website and magazine to be moderately useful. Good information, and solid too, but since I don't do weddings and only do a small amount of portraiture, much of it's not geared to me. Some certainly is though, the fundamentals all work no matter what you shoot, as does most of the business advice.

Would I join again? Well, I keep renewing, so I guess that's a yes.
BobHarbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #194
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 117
Editing OK?: No

I just joined PPA this year solely because of the Indemnification insurance!! That alone is worth the price I've paid for it!
Old 06-15-2011   #195
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
This too is becoming an epic thread or ongoing question that will never go away- well it should not go away because it is a valid question. Nobody can really give you a perfectly definitive guru-like answer because everyone is different in their approach to affiliation with organizations, clubs, unions, associations, churches and anything that has to do with lots of people getting together in what is ostensibly a common cause or mutual interest. This can be a question that can be extremely complex or surprisingly simple all depending on human behavior- probably the most complex subject in the entire world.

I can write here about the advantages of affiliation with a photographic association 'till the cows come home and all of those advantages can be diametrically opposite to what some people want . To others who are into associations, my arguments are useless as well because I would be preaching to the choir.

The arguments on both sides of the fence are endless and in a way boring because the are almost all the same, I have been involved in a number of photographic organizations for half a century and there is very little I have not seen- again it is boring because of the sameness involved. A big one is "there is a clique of people running the show and I/we have no say etc. etc, etc".

Not everything is for everybody. Be guided by your common sense, your good judgment and your heart.

Good luck and success to all.

Sincerely, Ed
Well said!!! I am done.
PictureMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #196
Alpaca

I got all confused with the insurance, being sued, and someone in the thread asking for the judge or the clients who are being sued name.??

Thank you for those who kept their response within 4 to 9 sentences...
However, I really appreciate and thank you all in general but this is waaaayyy to long! No offense!
PictureMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #197
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

I've been conversing with a photographer by email and phone who is currently having litigation wedged against her for malpractice over wedding images.
This morning, she read the letter she got last week from the bride's attorney.
Lots of saber rattling, and asking for the name of the business insurer.

In a net shell:
*Switching from PC to Mac, she got confused and accidentally formatted the wrong drive, and *poof*, wedding gone.
A professional recovery service was unable to get the images from the drive. (a simple format wouldn't have rendered the images unobtainable, so I'm not sure I got the whole story).

*Assistant covered the entire wedding too, and captured everything except altar shots.
*Photographer refunded all monies paid + sales tax in excess of $4,300.
*Photographer gave the images captured by said assistant to the family at no charge.
*Photographer has a contact that appears bulletproof, but it's not enough to deter the attorney representing the family.
Photographer was not a member of PPA when she shot the wedding, but she is now!

Poor girl is stressed, but it's an all-too comment problem.
The insurance is less than $30 a month. I don't get it.

I asked her to keep me advised on what happens now.
Old 06-23-2011   #198
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1016
Editing OK?: No

Ed Shapiro thank you for your well written answer to this, and Mark McCall again you are helpful as allways. I am glad the both of you continue to contribute your insite on topics such as this. Even though some folks refuse to apprecaite or wish to hear what is being said. I see positive and negitives and accept that there are no absolutes. As Groucho Marks used to say I would never join up with a club or institution that would have me as a member Best Wishes! Dirk D.
Boise ID. USA
Lightdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017   #199
Alpaca

DON"T JOIN PPA.

I was with PPA's insurance and I had a theft situation where almost 10K of equipment has
been stolen. I was insure with PPA for 15K for thef. They were very slow to process my claim. They didn't accept the original police report because it was hand written. After lots of headache and finally having the record section police supervisor signed and stamp it, they finally accept it and process my claim. Then once the settlement arrived they just settle half of the amount! BE AWARE! Read the fine prints.

They didn't settle the replacement cost as I was expecting but gave me Actual Cast Value of time of loss.
Due to all my receipts they determine the year of the equipment and calculated the depreciation. They basically devalued my gear and paid less that it was worth.
There was two small prints in the policy that I didn't see.

1.) The Depreciation
2.) Age per Year

They don't explain this to you. Once signing with them, you think you are coverd and have peace of mind. NOPE.

The Photo care plus policy come with two choices.

1) Scheduled Property where they pay the = Replacement Cost (but you need to list all your equipments and submit proof of purchase up front) OR

2) Unscheduled Property = Actual Cash Value Where they down value your equipments.

- Depreciation will apply as follows based on the age of lost or damaged property:

Age means Model Year minus Current Year plus one.

The calculation is based on model year minus current year plus one.
For instance, the Ipad purchased March of 2014 would be calculated as such:

Model Year Current Year + 1

2014 2016 + 1 = 3 years of Deprecation means 75% of down-valuing.

For my loss ipad that I paid $665, PPA settle it for just $166 Because they say it's 3 years old.

For my loss Macbook pro I paid 2014 $2400 + tax. They deprecated 75% off. I GOT $305!!!!

BE AWARE! PPA isn't a good choice. Read the Fine prints and ask Insurance companies for the replacement value.
Newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017   #200
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhere View Post
DON"T JOIN PPA.

I was with PPA's insurance and I had a theft situation where almost 10K of equipment has
been stolen. I was insure with PPA for 15K for thef. They were very slow to process my claim. They didn't accept the original police report because it was hand written. After lots of headache and finally having the record section police supervisor signed and stamp it, they finally accept it and process my claim. Then once the settlement arrived they just settle half of the amount! BE AWARE! Read the fine prints.

They didn't settle the replacement cost as I was expecting but gave me Actual Cast Value of time of loss.
Due to all my receipts they determine the year of the equipment and calculated the depreciation. They basically devalued my gear and paid less that it was worth.
There was two small prints in the policy that I didn't see.

1.) The Depreciation
2.) Age per Year

They don't explain this to you. Once signing with them, you think you are coverd and have peace of mind. NOPE.

The Photo care plus policy come with two choices.

1) Scheduled Property where they pay the = Replacement Cost (but you need to list all your equipments and submit proof of purchase up front) OR

2) Unscheduled Property = Actual Cash Value Where they down value your equipments.

- Depreciation will apply as follows based on the age of lost or damaged property:

Age means Model Year minus Current Year plus one.

The calculation is based on model year minus current year plus one.
For instance, the Ipad purchased March of 2014 would be calculated as such:

Model Year Current Year + 1

2014 2016 + 1 = 3 years of Deprecation means 75% of down-valuing.

For my loss ipad that I paid $665, PPA settle it for just $166 Because they say it's 3 years old.

For my loss Macbook pro I paid 2014 $2400 + tax. They deprecated 75% off. I GOT $305!!!!

BE AWARE! PPA isn't a good choice. Read the Fine prints and ask Insurance companies for the replacement value.
Apparently you have an axe to grind with PPA since your only two posts are all about complaining about the organization. If YOU had done you end up front then you results would be different. You as much as said so in you other thread.

Perhaps you should look at the way you handle your business instead of complaining about PPA for doing exactly what you signed up for.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: