Is Joining the PPA actually worth it? - Page 18
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007   #171
Camel Breath
 
jfrancho's Avatar
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 11,666
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Same thing I used to do when I sold and installed custom aquariums. They'd see something on another tank, and want it, regardless of whether it was useful or not. Can't tell you how many people I talked out of inline pressurized cannisters.
__________________
<)))))><
jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #172
Lubbock, Tx.
 
Mark McCall's Avatar
 
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 3,706
CamelKarma: 307172
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

I do it the same way Mark does.
We design the book with no input from the bride.

She can make changes at $15 apiece, after previewing a flash flip version of her album online. Rarely have more than one or two.
__________________
Mark McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #173
Llama
 
waple's Avatar
 
Posts: 743
CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Buck View Post
Heck, after seeing these coffee table books I make, they don't even ask for the black! They want the CT books! They are so cool! Gotta go.
Can you link to a place or two that shows what you're talking about and where to get them done? I'd love to do something for my son and neice.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #174
Camel Breath
 
jfrancho's Avatar
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 11,666
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCall View Post
I do it the same way Mark does.
We design the book with no input from the bride.

She can make changes at $15 apiece, after previewing a flash flip version of her album online. Rarely have more than one or two.
I assume this, along with all the other details, is outlined in your contract. With everything you mentioned, it sounds as though the contract may be a bit lengthy. If so, do you find this intimidates potential customers? Or, do you have to spend some time explaining everything involved in the contract?
__________________
<)))))><
jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #175
Llama
 
Location: A money pit in KS
Posts: 597
CamelKarma: 107
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

I don't have those details in the contract, although, I probably should. I explain it to the couple when they come in for a talk. I would say that 99% of the time, they don't question it. However, if they do ask, I tell them. I up front and honest with them from the get go.
Unkl Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #176
Alpaca
 
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 36
CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Arrow Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Wow, 9 pages and this point was never addressed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo Dog View Post
I just wish that people would just stop perpetuating the myth that a bride can successfully sue a photographer for damages just because she wants to or because she feels traumatized by the images, or for any other reason directly connected to the events of the wedding in which the photographer acted responsibly and committed no acts which caused physical endangerment to the bride and /or her guests.
However, I understand that often it easier to just settle. I do understand the disgust that Bloo Dog feels towards that "solution" - I dunno, I'm not in that situation and I hope to never be. Membership with the insurance benefit sure seems like an easy way to deal with that potential unpleasantness.

It was an interesting thread with lots of stuff to consider. I don't intend to do photography professionally full time, I may not even do it professionally part time - however, even as a hobbiest, if charging for services there are many points to ponder. Thanks to everyone who posted and raised some interesting points.
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #177
Lubbock, Tx.
 
Mark McCall's Avatar
 
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 3,706
CamelKarma: 307172
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
I assume this, along with all the other details, is outlined in your contract. With everything you mentioned, it sounds as though the contract may be a bit lengthy. If so, do you find this intimidates potential customers? Or, do you have to spend some time explaining everything involved in the contract?
My contract is one page, front and back.
Front is basic info collection, the back lists the terms. I got it from the book "Legal Forms for Photographers".
Excellent resource, and the wedding contract also comes on a CD in Word for easy editing.

DocNo,
Actually I did address Bob's comments.
You can be sued for any number of reasons, even if the bride simply doesn't "like" the photos.
My buddy Dixie Dobbins in Wichita Falls was sued, successfully, because the bride thought she was promised a part in the design process.
Although PPA picked up the tab for the bulk of the settlement, she was till ordered to release her files as part of the settlement, and pay a $200 deductible.
Scary stuff.

edit>>
Dixie was sued not delivering a poor product, late delivery, or conduct at the wedding.
The bride sued the studio because she thought she'd been promised a hand in the design process.
The studio finished the album without input from the bride. Bride sued...and won.

PPA paid off the monetary settlement ordered by the court, with Dixie having to give up her files/negatives and pay a $200 deductible.
__________________
Mark McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #178
Alpaca
 
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 36
CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Arrow Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCall View Post
My buddy Dixie Dobbins in Wichita Falls was sued, successfully, because the bride thought she was promised a part in the design process.
Although PPA picked up the tab, she was till ordered to release her files as part of the settlement, and pay a $200 deductible.
Not trying to be pedantic, but settling is not "successful". Your buddy wasn't found guilty because he settled.

Which, is Bloo Dog's point...

Quote:
Scary stuff
Scary or disgusting - depends on your point of view, I guess.

Still lots of good points to ponder.
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #179
Dromedary
 
captlen's Avatar
 
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 1,159
CamelKarma: 238
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Keep in mind that if you are sued, "successfully" or "settlement "or you win the case, you are going to incur cost of defending yourself. Even if you win you may not be awarded your legal costs. This means that you are out money, cold hard cash. Win or lose.

Liability insurance is not just there if you lose a suit but to defend you win or lose.

This is not a question of win or lose but insuring against the cost of a law suit brought against you.
captlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #180
Photocamel Master
 
brian.austin's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 7,875
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Not trying to be pedantic, but settling is not "successful".
It's "successful" in its intent, however. The goal behind a lawsuit is to recover money for time, services, or product that were not delivered per the plaintiff's interpretation of the contract. Whether or not it's done in front of a judge in a courtroom or between two lawyers is immaterial.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is an Fe2 worth? robertdavid Nikon 8 10-07-2007 06:01 AM
how much is this SLR worth xxx19 Other Cameras and Lenses 3 02-09-2007 09:50 PM
how much is this SLR worth xxx19 Photography Talk 13 09-09-2006 12:37 PM