Is Joining the PPA actually worth it? - Page 11
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007   #101
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Is Joining the PPA actually worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo Dog View Post
I can't think of any one-man wedding photography company who files a C corp. tax status.

Filing as a C corp requires assets beyond most single-operator's abilities and ASSETS. The C corp photography companies are the guys who shoot yearbooks. (They also shot weddings for awhile in my town--- on Kowa medium format cameras!) You have to employ a lot of people in order to benefit from a C corp status.
This single operator formed a C corp with $5,000 in assets for a computer company 12 years ago.

The primary difference between a C and S corp is income flowthrough for the shareholders. A C corp has its OWN income and pays out salary to employees and dividends to shareholders. A S corp's income flows through to the shareholders as personal income.

There is no liability difference between a C and S corp. Both are seen as discrete entities in a legal sense.

Quote:
One may file a judgment which is more than the assets of the corporation, but if the corporation is not worth more than- or is not equal to the amount of the judgment, then the liability is equal to the value of its liquidated assets.

The LLC is probably the way in which most small startup businesses go. They enjoy the deductions similar to those of those who file 1040 SE but their liability is limited to the value of the company. The status of LLC is pretty self-explanatory.

Once one learns how business works and how the law works, one sees how these mythical huge damages lawsuits amount to a load of bullshot.
There is no point in trying to debate someone who is so fixated on inaccurate information. Nor am I going to make any attempt to spend time digging up sources to show you how wrong you are. You'll either find out on your own or get lucky enough not to have to deal with it.

To anyone else looking at this as advice: get a lawyer and an accountant and do it right. I did and neither said anything close to the statements you see here. Corporate protection is a tissue defense: you can't see through it but anyone can poke a finger through it and tear it apart.
Old 10-03-2007   #102
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First

Jayden, was the photo you took one that you took as the hired photographer at their wedding? I didn't see if you mentioned that or not. Bloo was mentioning B&G, which I believe is Bride and Groom. Howerver, I think the PPA stuff may only be for weddings. If you didn't shoot this at a wedding, you may not have been protected. But I'm still trying to figure out if there's any protection for non-wedding photogs.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #103
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
There is no point in trying to debate someone who is so fixated on inaccurate information. Nor am I going to make any attempt to spend time digging up sources to show you how wrong you are. You'll either find out on your own or get lucky enough not to have to deal with it.
LOL..totally hilarious.
The guy making the most noise is the guy who's had the most legal and BBB problems. Priceless.
Old 10-04-2007   #104
Lubbock, Tx.

As former Executive Director of the Bridal Service Associates, I noticed something in the voting pattern of our members when voting on association issues years ago.

Business owners tended to vote more selectively, weighing options, using their heads to determine what was in the best interest of their business.

However, employees of businesses, attending the meetings on their boss's behalf, tended to take a more loose cannon approach, voting on anything and everything without much forethought into their employer's best interest.

My point is...
Non professionals will never see things the same way professionals do, and visa versa.
Old 10-04-2007   #105
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

Mark......this is a difficult enough thread. It is not improved by your pomposity and flipant dismisal.
You talk professionalism, act accordingly.
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #106
Lubbock, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Howerver, I think the PPA stuff may only be for weddings. If you didn't shoot this at a wedding, you may not have been protected. But I'm still trying to figure out if there's any protection for non-wedding photogs.
Yes.

From PPA:
The other difference between the Trust and traditional malpractice insurance is the annual cost of coverage – a PPA member only pays $50 over and above the cost of their membership to participate. Please note that the Trust only covers professional liability issues in connection with an assignment.

With the Indemnification Trust you get:

The most experienced attorneys in the world at defending professional photographers: Howe & Hutton
Attorneys who work with you to solve a problem before a suit is filed
Representation in court if needed
Attorney fees and any subsequent judgment paid by the Trust
A low, $200 deductible

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
this is a difficult enough thread. It is not improved by your pomposity and flipant dismisal.
Your a little behind Bob. This thread is full of flippant dismissals. LOL.
Old 10-04-2007   #107
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

Yeah....I guess it is at that.......I withdraw the remark.....
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #108
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 48

No flippant dismissals from me, friends. I have discussed every point as it was raised.

I have made no snide remarks, and I have made no derogatory implications about anyone.

No LOLs either, and not one snide PM to Mark from me either.

And still no proof from the other side.

The flippant dismissals are coming from someone else.

I take it from your PM, Mark, that you did not remove the ad hominem attack yourself. Apparently, the moderators did. Go reread your post. Your remark is gone.

So where's the proof of the successful lawsuit, Mark?
Bloo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #109
Lubbock, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo Dog View Post

I take it from your PM, Mark, that you did not remove the ad hominem attack yourself. Apparently, the moderators did. Go reread your post. Your remark is gone.

So where's the proof of the successful lawsuit, Mark?
You sent the PM...I was laughing to hard to reply.
Old 10-04-2007   #110
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Jayden, was the photo you took one that you took as the hired photographer at their wedding? I didn't see if you mentioned that or not. Bloo was mentioning B&G, which I believe is Bride and Groom. Howerver, I think the PPA stuff may only be for weddings. If you didn't shoot this at a wedding, you may not have been protected. But I'm still trying to figure out if there's any protection for non-wedding photogs.
no, this was not a wedding photo. They hired me yes, they paid me for the photo.

So we are thinking PPA insurance may only be for weddings?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: