SmugMug
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default SmugMug

I am considering setting up a web site with Smugmug. I have visited some of the professional photographer's sites and they seem difficult to use for ordering prints, i.e. ordering different sizes of prints and finding price lists. Does anyone out there have experience opening a pro account with SmugMug?

Old 06-03-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 215
Default Re: SmugMug

I have a Smugmug Pro account. Setting up my site was really easy. I'm still in the process of getting it just how I want and still need to add pricing, about me, and several other pages I want on my site.

The forum is a great place to get some one on one help with customization. People who know how to code CSS to the hilt will help you get your site looking like you want.
I have my home page on my own server Heartsfire Photography and if you click on the links in the Nav Bar (which forum coders helped me to set up and perfect for both IE and Firefox) it will take you to my Smugmug galleries.

You can use my coupon code wbWqo7uNMODlA and get $5 off your subscription too.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I love my site on Smugmug!
http://gallery.heartsfire.com
Stormdancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

SmugMug is a great place. It is very easy to use and can be customized pretty easy if you know a bit about web-like programming. They will help you too.

If you don't want to pay for a Pro site at SmugMug, check out our Gallery (link along the top bar) and you will see a MUG contest. Enter it and if yours is the best image, you'll win a one-year Pro Account at SmugMug.

And if you don't want to wait, or don't want to use Dana's code for $5 off, you can use mine (put it in the "referred by" box on the signup form) and get $5 off: L5xvhn5DEtHqs

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 211807

If you are taking a pro or a power user account, smugmug is great offering customization and great print sales etc.,
If you are just a hobbyist, and don't sell prints, there are cheaper options elsewhere.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: No

My ENTIRE site is hosted through smugmug.

I had someone customize it for me, but the upkeep and changing things around is very easy.

Your Timeless Photos-Photography by Erik Matey: Weddings and Portraits based in Bucks County PA - powered by SmugMug

I don't find order difficult. I do find it a little slow though, but thats when I'm ordering 500 prints at a time. Otherwise no big complaints so far.
Old 06-04-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 96

Just don't expect your son to help you with setting up all of that web stuff. I'm sure he's got better things to do with his time.
Girevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee View Post
I am considering setting up a web site with Smugmug. I have visited some of the professional photographer's sites and they seem difficult to use for ordering prints, i.e. ordering different sizes of prints and finding price lists. Does anyone out there have experience opening a pro account with SmugMug?
Hi TeeGee,

Hope you come try us out! We will definitely help you every step of the way. If you email help@smugmug.com, you will typically get an answer from a real person within an hour 24/7/365!

You can customize your site completely if you have our Power/Pro versions but you can also choose from one of the many standard themes we offer by the click of a button with any account level. Check out this page: SmugMug Themes' photos - powered by SmugMug

As for prints/gifts pricing, check out this page for SmugMug standard prices: Prints and Photo gifts - powered by SmugMug

Our Pro account allows you to set your own print prices and make 85% commission off the markup!

Hope that helps-
Markham
Ham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I've had a smugmug account for more than a year and converted it to pro level in, I believe, Nov 2006. I can vouch for everything Ham1 said about service. They are there for you should you have any questions. You can get all sorts of help (all of it good) from the customization forum.

I've not done a super lot of customization to my site, but I know it can be done. I just don't feel the need to spend the time when my time could be better spent doing other things photography. The site, as it stands now, has actually snagged me more than just a few gigs - so I'm very happy with it.

Finally, you can't beat the guarantee they offer on their prints. You either like it/them or they are re-done or you get your $$ back. No muss, no fuss, just send an e-mail to help@smugmug.com

Disclaimer: My only association with SmugMug is as a satisfied customer.
Scott_Quier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are taking a pro or a power user account, smugmug is great offering customization and great print sales etc.,
If you are just a hobbyist, and don't sell prints, there are cheaper options elsewhere.
There are cheaper options for just hosting, but after the initial $30, I have paid all subsequent fees with referral dollars. That works out to < $10/year for unlimited storage and hosting.
Old 06-08-2007   #10
rex
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 51
Editing OK?: Yes

I have used smugmug for a few years now and I love everything about them. If you sign up for smugmug make sure to check out Digital Grin Photography Forum - Powered by vBulletin as well. Lots of customizing threads there.

Try Smugmug Free
rex is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: